• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Remington 700 bolt handle re-weld

Russell0331

Default rank <3500 posts Supporter
ODT Junkie!
124   0
Reaction score
Who can re-weld a bolt handle around Woodstock?

I neck sized a case and chambered it to see if it would work. It didn’t and got stuck. I tried mortaring it and ended up having to use a rubber mallet to get it out. In doing so, the bolt handle weld opened up a bit and now the handle doesn’t close right.

Attachments

• IMG_1574.jpeg
    IMG_1574.jpeg
    206.2 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_1573.jpeg
    IMG_1573.jpeg
    187.4 KB · Views: 16
You’re better off having that handle removed, and a new one installed.

A custom rifle builder that is long out of business, HD Rifles in Del Rio TX, used to do a Rem700 bolt handle model where they drilled and tapped 2 holes through the handle base and into the bolt body. After installing 2 small bolts in the holes, they ground the heads off flush. I tried to find some pics (I used to have one of their rifles), but couldn’t find them. Anyways, a new handle welded AND bolted on would be my recommendation.

Contact American Precision Rifles in Jefferson GA.

You’re better off having that handle removed, and a new one installed.

A custom rifle builder that is long out of business, HD Rifles in Del Rio TX, used to do a Rem700 bolt handle model where they drilled and tapped 2 holes through the handle base and into the bolt body. After installing 2 small bolts in the holes, they ground the heads off flush. I tried to find some pics (I used to have one of their rifles), but couldn’t find them. Anyways, a new handle welded AND bolted on would be my recommendation.

Contact American Precision Rifles in Jefferson GA.
Will do. Thank you! I wasn’t sure if they were still around or not. I think Iron Brigade Armory did this one, they appear to be long gone.

Yes, the bolt handle is soldered, but the proper fix is to remove it altogether, clean it up, reinstall if the old handle is still viable (could be cracked now), or replace if it ain't.

The best method of re-attachment is to solder a new one, then thread for 2 bolts. That's the method that I described above.

Back
Top Bottom