• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Rem. 742

Status
Not open for further replies.
For the wood you can buy chemical stripper that should do the trick. If your goin to use it hunting I would use something other than high temp paint. Most of the bake on coatings are pretty cheap and hold up well. I used durabake on my marlin 336 and its strong and looks good.

I did blow everything out after using the brake cleaner. The bolt does close completely and freely and I did clean the piston well though the spring was a little dirtier. Is durabake a spray application? Thanks for the help fellows!

Yes it comes in a can, you clean and prep the metal. Spray the stuff on bake it in the oven and repeat as needed till you get the finish you want. I did mine flat black and it looks like parkerizing. Took about 3 hours total for my whole rifle.

There are different types of stripper you can use to get the finish out of the checkering. An old toothbrush will help whisk it out of there. However be careful when using the stripper on the checkering since it is pressed in. The stripper will lift some of the checkering if it sits to long. Especially around fine lines.

Decided not to mess with the wood, finish has some scratches but still shines pretty nicely. Got it back together and will post pics soon, gonna cycle it a few times then maybe fire it this weekend to see how it ejects...etc. Very interesting firing system. I know that this is a rifle that needs cleaning often. Maybe it will serve me well as a hog getter! Thanks for all of the advice gents.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom