• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Reloading set up

thanks for the offer frog... i actually have a free weekend so I plan to spend it going through my guns and gear and parting with all the stuff I bought "knowing" I would use alot... but have never used..lol

Once I can raise the money up for the kit and supplies, I very well may take you up on the reloading course!

Thanks for that... and its cheaper. So if I sold a $400.00 pistol... do you think I could get myself up and running, as far as bullets, powder, primers and the kit? Its kinda tight now and in this case I know i have to spend money to ultimately save it... but I do have the cash to just buy all the materials outright.

With your Cabelas order, add:

Lee Modern Reloading Manual $13
Deluxe Lee 45 acp 4 die set $37
250 .45 cal Berry bullets $33 (get two of these if you can swing the funds)

Add $20 for a pound of appropriate powder and $30 for 1000 primers, bought locally at a gun show or gun shop, to avoid Hazmat shipping charges.

Also, head to the Harbor Freight on your side of town and buy this caliper (on sale...bring the web page so they price match):

http://www.harborfreight.com/6-inch-digital-caliper-with-sae-and-fractional-readings-98851.html

(or add a caliper to your Cabelas order if it's easier)

With shipping, you'll probably come in around $360, give or take a few bucks.

damn rb... thanks man. I will see what weapons/gear I can part with this weekend. I would rather get setup sooner rather than later.

I have a suggestion, you might want to invest in a reloading manual before you buy the kit. In every manual I have ever looked at, the first part of the book gives a lot of information about reloading. One that I would suggest is the Lyman Reloading Handbook, I recently bought the 49th edition and it is really good reference book. It also has a few loads that some of the other books don't have.

I will look into that. I think a buddy of mine has one. He has one of those hand loading pocket kits. I think he got a manual too.

I lucked out and found a deal on a complete set up. Press, bullets, powder, primers. I had been saving brass so just needed to get a tumbler, media, and scale. I ended up with a press, prep tools, and enough components to make about 4000 rounds for $700. That's pretty pricey per round but, now I know I won't be affected by the next "ammo crisis" as long as I keep components stocked. And the price will continue to come down after the initial investment.

I lot of people recommend single stage presses. I'm using a progressive (Dillon SDB). You can run 1 case a time through it to make sure it's right when you start. I can't imagine going to a single stage after using the progressive! Granted I'm an ex-engineer, ex-mechanic, ex-carpenter. ex-welder, etc... Point being, if you do your research and are mechanically inclined and have attention to detail it's easy to get started.
Read a few books, watch a bunch of youtube videos (this is what did it for me, I'm a visual learner), and be careful!

The classic Lee single stage costs 100 bucks...Get the poweder and primers from the place in watkinsville...So you dont have to pay hazmat...get a book, get the calipers and tumbler from harbor freight on your way to watkinville...(new one in athens)..Dont forget to order your dies...Midway has the best price ive found...

Get the poweder and primers from the place in watkinsville...So you dont have to pay hazmat...get a book, get the calipers and tumbler from harbor freight on your way to watkinville...(new one in athens)...

I agree, Sporting Arms is a great place to get your primers and powder, he also has some fair prices for bullets. Jerry also has great prices on his guns, too. I have heard that Harbor Freight is a good place to buy your tumbler media, too.

Back
Top Bottom