• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Reloading Question

Remmy

Default rank <1000 posts
Frontiersman
20   0
Reaction score
What methods do you guy's use to develop a new load for common caliber bolt guns [Powder charges, seating depths] I know you always want to follow your manual's.

For me, I am always looking for the most accurate loadings of the listed rounds in my manuals. I have loading manuals from several bullet and powder manufacturers and consult all of them. Then I start a little low and work my way up until I have one my rifle likes.

I usually load in three's, I'll select a powder I want to try, start at the minimum charge and load three of each weight, adding about .2 or .3 grains as I go up till I find the best group. I do this using the recommended COL, then I start lengthening or shortening the COL to see if it helps or hurts. Most rifles like the bullet seated closer to the lands, but not all. I can't explain why, but I have one particular rifle that I seat lower than recommended COL.

Last edited:
Pistol rounds, I'll start at Low load end, load 5 of each in .1 - .2 increments, depending on the Low and High end. find the best grouping etc. and then fine tune my OAL.. Rifle rounds approx the same except I'll maybe go .5 increments on the Powder depending on the how much difference there uis between Low and High powder load. Then fine tune in .1 increments and OAL.

For a bolt rifle i prefer to use the hornady headspace gauge and bullet comparitor. Seating depth will vary depending on the ogive of the bullet. So that is really the best way to find out exactly what your specific chamber dimensions are. Also it helps to measure chamber erosion over time.
For my ar's i just load to factory spec or mag length depending on the projo.

I usually load in three's, I'll select a powder I want to try, start at the minimum charge and load three of each weight, adding about .2 or .3 grains as I go up till I find the best group. I do this using the recommended COL, then I start lengthening or shortening the COL to see if it helps or hurts. Most rifles like the bullet seated closer to the lands, but not all. I can't explain why, but I have one particular rifle that I seat lower than recommended COL.

Yep one thing at a time. This is pretty much how I do it as well. If you have more than one variable you will be chasing your tail. I use .5 grain increments on most powders and dial in from there with 5 shot groups. Hope this helps.

Back
Top Bottom