• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Reloading Dies

I own dies from most manufacturer's. Some have features and characteristics I like better than others, but truth be known I can't measure any real difference between the performance offered by them.

I've loaded some of the best and worst ammo using brand X. It's their features much more than any performance differences that make most of my decisions on brand for me.

I primarily use RCBS and Dillon but on my Dillon 1050 there is a Lee U-die, a Redding competition seater die, and a Dillon taper crimp die. That same combo is setup in three different caliber conversions, 9mm, 40, and 45acp.

I use Lee dies as well. If using in an auto, full length resizing is necessary. If using a case in a bolt gun that was fired in any other gun, whether it be bolt or semi, it also needs a full length resize. If the case has been fired in the bolt gun that you're reloading for, then a neck size only will give you the best accuracy.

What happens is that when the case if fired in the chamber of the gun you're reloading for, the pressure forms the case to your specific chamber. Gun chambers are kind of like fingerprints, everyone is slightly different. Once you have a case that is formed to your chamber, there is no slop, & greater consistency can be obtained. The reason you don't resize neck only for semi-auto is because the tolerances are too tight to get reliable feeding. You can still shoot fire formed cases from them, but you will most likely run into jamming issues.

Lee for price and recapping pin is a good design rcbs for crimp but the recapping pins suck they seem to be better overall but more expensive

Back
Top Bottom