• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

reloading dies ? question

NO! reloading dies come in several different sizes, 7/8 X 14 being the standard size.
if you are asking if a standard size RCBS die will work in a Press built for standard size LEE dies then yes.
but you need to see what the press is designed to use.
Usually the dies will interchange but not always!

Most modern dies are interchangable between presses. The one exception is 50BMG(1 1/4 X 12). I have seen a few VERY old dies that are of a funky size I think they were 1 X 12, rifle dies. I can't think of any modern die that is not 7/8 X 14. Maybe someone can tell me one and I need an excuse to buy a new press ;). Even the WSSM cartridges fit into this platform.

Per the above: Typically, "YES". But people do have their favorites ...

I have found Lee Dies to be my favorite as they are affordable and
get the job done just fine. That said, I like the Lyman 2-Stage expanding die
for use in loading cast bullets which tend to be larger than jacketed, and can get
an unintended "swage" with other expansion dies - saves work-hardening the case mouth too!

I just wish that Lee made Carbide Dies in .308 and .223!

Certainly not wanting nor neeidng to get into a website controversy and only trying to inform and educate the OP.
Those that have been in relaoding for a while can likley remember when there were various size dies by different manufactures, somewhere (I don't remember the exact time) manufactures moved to a more standardization of dies and accessories.
But there are still die sout there that are not standard, and if I remember Lyman, RCBS, Pacific, Redding all made Junior type dies at one time.
occasionally these may be found at yard sales, on line forums and even a cousin may want to give you old uncle Neds dies from the 50's.
I make this point as the op asked if all dies were the same.
I am not positive but believe thta Dillion still makes a non standard die for one of thier presses.
additionally to also inform, I "think" that if one checks 50 BMG dies are normally 1 1/2 X12, or at least the ones that i am familiar with, could be other sizes i guess.
the point is check before buying, especially if not new dies form a current manufacture.
hope this helps the OP.

Back
Top Bottom