Recommend a red dot

upload_2018-11-24_14-32-36.jpeg

I mentioned the HWS over RDS difference when the user has astigmatism.
Astigmatism is weird. I have it. Unfortunately for me EOTech's dot looks like an oblong bean and Aimpoints look like starbursts. I can't win. Some ACOG's are crisp, others almost look like they have a double image. An EOTech cleans up a good bit for me through the magnifier, since the magnifier has an adjustable diapoter. This is one reason I have really started to like LPVO's, because I get a nice clean image. I am absolutely crazy about my Kahles. The best looking image for me through a 1x only optic has actually been the Vortex Spitfire which I probably should own.

I am nervous about adding anything to my rifles that require batteries. I don’t like adding another part that is subject to Murphy’s law and things w/ batteries double the chance Murphy has to get you. But I am open to this.

I want something rugged and reliable- ain’t gonna break or quit with rough treatment

I’d prefer something that uses more convential and available batteries AA or AAA preferred. I am open to using other batteries like CR123 etc. but prefer something I can easily get at Walmart or take out of my gps or radio if the crap hit the fan.

I want something as lightweight as possible.

It looks like Aimpoint is my best bet... but what do you experts think?
Jamill Patel, Days Inn, International Blvd, Atlanta.

Porter Rockwell Porter Rockwell , in regards to staying away from optics because of reliability, I see far more carbines choke in my classes than I see optics fail, whether they be HWS, RDS, or prismatic.

Thanks.... what AR’s tend to be the most reliable in your classes or which AR’s tend to have the most reliability issues. You said in your class last Saturday that guns which have a lot of non-factory parts tend to break down most often.

Thanks.... what AR’s tend to be the most reliable in your classes or which AR’s tend to have the most reliability issues. You said in your class last Saturday that guns which have a lot of non-factory parts tend to break down most often.
None....buy an AK and be done with it.

I really like my MROs, one is on the original battery and has not been turned off in well over a year.
Bought one about three months ago. Looked pretty solid from the research I did. Five year battery life . Forged aluminum just like the ACOG , water proof to 100 ft and a couple hundred bucks cheaper than aimpoint. Oh yeah. Looks cool too.
PS You can store an extra battery in the grip,

Buy a quality AR from a quality manufacturer and you should be good to go. I saw you running a Colt.....should be no issues there. It’s always worth having someone that knows what they’re doing go through it for you and check it all out.

A build comprised of the right parts and assembled by someone that knows what they’re doing will he just as solid. Sadly, I see a lot of sub-par builds; either builds using cheap parts, or assembled by someone that doesn’t know what they’re doing, or both.

I see issues when folks start monkeying with buffers and springs for whatever their reason is, or installing gamer parts in a real-world carbine. Not always, but it ain’t uncommon.

Many of the companies out there cut corners on the assembly process, but the parts are decent. Bushmaster, the low end S&W’s and Armalites, etc. The quicker they can churn them out, the cheaper they can sell them for. You’ll see issues like improper torque, lack of staking, etc. In most cases it is issues that are readily corrected by a knowledgeable person.

I don’t know if the sale is still on, but SOLGW was running their patrol carbine for $799.......killer deal! That’s a Corvette for the price of a Spectrum. All top quality parts. They were also selling one of their fancier carbines with several upgrades over the patrol version (midlength gas system, railed forearm, BUIS, etc) for $1199 (regularly $1499). Gotta love Black Friday and the holidays!

Reactions: MRH
Back
Top Bottom