• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Rebarrel Tikka 30-06 to 7mm PRC - considerations?

guitarded_1

Default rank <300 posts
Tracker
18   0
Reaction score
I have a couple of gunsmith questions that I am hoping some of the more knowledgeable folks can help out with. Currently, I have a semi custom Tikka 30-06 hunting rifle in my stable. It's a great rifle, silky smooth trued Tikka action, Mesa stock, and the 30-06 is a classic cartridge. As this rifle will be used mostly for long range elk hunting, I am toying with the idea of rebarreling it to a 7mm PRC for longer range and ability to buck the wind. A little extra insurance. I would have a highly experienced custom rifle builder do the work.

It's above my pay grade, but as I understand it, one of the tricky aspects may be in regard to the bolt. I am lefty, so finding a lefty magnum Tikka replacement bolt is a bit of a pipe dream. Can the Tikka standard bolt in my 30-06 be opened up and modified to work in a 7mm PRC rebuild?

Any other major considerations or potential stumbling blocks that need to be considered in this rebuild? I could of course buy a whole new rifle in 7mm PRC, but there's so much that I like about this one that my preference would be to rebarrel it if at all possible.

Appreciate the input.

An easy ”upgrade” from .30-06 would be .280 Ackley Improved. Based off the .30-06 case, necked down to 7mm, with the Ackley Improved mods of removing the case tape and blowing the shoulders out to 40 degrees. Since it’s based off of the .30-06, no bolt mods are necessary. All you’ll need is a new barrel.

It’s not the screamer that the 7mm PRC is, but you can launch a 160grn Accubond at about 3000fps.

Headed to my first elk hunt next week, and .280AI is what I chose to use.

I just had a Tikka 30-06 rebarreled to 280ai. No need to worry about bolt faces just the barrel. I’d love a 7PRC but I just can’t justify one for the distance I hunt.

Attachments

• IMG_3698.jpeg
    IMG_3698.jpeg
    100.6 KB · Views: 17
It's above my pay grade, but as I understand it, one of the tricky aspects may be in regard to the bolt. I am lefty, so finding a lefty magnum Tikka replacement bolt is a bit of a pipe dream. Can the Tikka standard bolt in my 30-06 be opened up and modified to work in a 7mm PRC rebuild?
I didn’t do the math off the top of my head but PRC base is .532 and the 06 is .473. I’m no smith but that seems significantly different. Would there be enough meat left on the bolt from a safety standpoint?

Talked to a couple of smiths and it's a no go on modifying the bolt. Buying the same rifle and rebarreling it won't work, as this is a semi-custom job. What I will likely do is keep my eye out for a used Tikka 300 mag or 7mm mag at a good price, use the bolt and sell the leftover barrel, action, and stock at a steep discount.

Back
Top Bottom