Realistically: Does anybody get good 12g slug groups at 100 yards, with a smooth-bore?

kuduman

Default rank <4000 posts Supporter
ODT Junkie!
51   0
Reaction score
By good I mean 6" or better for say 5 shots. And I mean around the point of aim (or at a known, expected point).

Just wondering... I'm about to try five more types of slugs to find something that will improve over the 14" I'm getting with Fed Tru-Ball. These days that's $6-$15 of ammo for each group, so it's an expensive endeavor. I hear tales of "every shot on a playing card" and so forth... but I've never seen it.

18" (smooth) barrel, Cyl choke, Holosun red-dot, so consistent aiming isn't an issue.

This is a defensive shotgun; 14" is good enough for Bambi, but I have other tools for that.

Can't remember much details but using Rem 870 with slug barrel and old weaver scope made for it (side mount), I could put three slugs in a cigarette pack at 50 Yards. Used Bernicke slugs as I recall. Recall using empty cigarette pack as target on backstop. All three hit the pack, not exactly in the center but they did hit it.

I have hit 8 inch plates at 100 yards during a 3 gun match. Winchester Super X slugs at 1600 fps. Have used a Remington 870 and Benelli 1014, both with ghost ring sights.

I've taken more than a few deer with a rem 1 187 30" back in Wisconsin in a shotgun only county. Just a front bead site. Never ever had to reach out over 50 yards, can't imagine having an opportunity for a 100 yard shot.

My Remington 870 with a 20 inch smooth bore and rifle sights gets a 3 inch group at 50 yards using 1 Oz. Winchester reduced recoil Ranger slugs. The same round will hit an 8 inch steel at 100 every time if I do my part.

Back
Top Bottom