• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

"Ready" storage of a pest rifle - need suggestions

WE have chickens in a large pen and have no problems with any predators including the foxes. If you build the pen correctly nothing will get the chickens. We also have peach trees and I have never seen a squirrel in them. They will be in the walnut and pecan trees but they dont eat enough to hurt anything. I have watched coyotes walk right past a calf and never so much as look at it. The "predators are killing my....." fill in the blank , are usually vastly overstated.

A calf is not a chicken.

Glad you are having that experience. Ours is different. The squirrels took every peach and every pear off our trees. We find the fruit lying in the yard, partly eaten. We sometimes catch them in the act, running off with fruit in their mouths.

Thankfully, we haven't lost a chicken yet, but my neighbors lose chickens to both aerial and ground predators. Figure it's just a matter of time. I expect raccoons to be the most problematic. We've had trouble with them in the past, and keeping them out of anything is damn near impossible.

A calf is not a chicken.

Glad you are having that experience. Ours is different. The squirrels took every peach and every pear off our trees. We find the fruit lying in the yard, partly eaten. We sometimes catch them in the act, running off with fruit in their mouths.

Thankfully, we haven't lost a chicken yet, but my neighbors lose chickens to both aerial and ground predators. Figure it's just a matter of time. I expect raccoons to be the most problematic. We've had trouble with them in the past, and keeping them out of anything is damn near impossible.

I was more concerned with hogs getting my chickens. I built a hog proof coup, worked well to keep the coons out as well. I could tell the coons tried dozens of times over the years I kept chickens, but the coup held

Well, I know some won't agree with me but, I leave a 10/22 on the side porch with one in the chamber and keep the mag inside. I got tired of going out and my scope fogging up. I have a big 125# alarm outside and if you can make it through him and glass without meeting Mr.12ga. or miss AR well, I guess I'm dead.

A few folks on here have been here and, just not a place you happen onto. Hell when stranger come by , like a UPS, the Volunteer Firefighter fund raiser or such, they stop at the gate and blow the horn.

Aren't all rifles "pest rifles"?
But to your more specific point, I keep a lever action .22 by the door. Nothing in chamber. When a coyote messes up, it's quick and easy enough to cycle lever and let it fly. If I had kids around (I don't), I'd probably keep it as mentioned, above the door, inside a closet with the loaded mag separate but quickly accessible.

When I was a kid, pop kept his 10/22 over the door on an old school rifle rack like would hang in the back glass of a pickup. Worked well for anything that came around looking for trouble.

Back
Top Bottom