Re-boring rifles? Anyone done this?

Edog537

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
111   0
Reaction score
I really want a .35 Whelen rifle. Of course the rifle I want isn’t being produced. Thinking about sending a Vanguard or Howa to JES in Oregon to have it re- bored to .35 Whelen. Anyone been down this road. How did it turn out? Is it worth it! Would you do it again?

Jes has a good reputation. Simply weight the cost or reboring verses a new barrel. There were some remington classics made in Whelen years ago

Why not just have it rebarreled?
My thoughts. I cant imagine slapping a new barrel in being more expensive than re boring. Plus you get the benefit of having the other barrel and with a few tools, it can be swapped. Assuming we are going from a 270 or 30-06 to a Whelen, resale down the road would be easier with one of those calibers

My thoughts. I cant imagine slapping a new barrel in being more expensive than re boring. Plus you get the benefit of having the other barrel and with a few tools, it can be swapped. Assuming we are going from a 270 or 30-06 to a Whelen, resale down the road would be easier with one of those calibers
JES is very reasonable. I haven’t priced rebarreling but 4 groove rifling and shipping was about $400.00 all in. Donor Vanguard $500.00. Stocked to my specs say $400.00 - so with adding an extra $300 for Hiland Arms Hiland Arms to coat I am at $1600.00 - this one will stay in the safe.

JES is very reasonable. I haven’t priced rebarreling but 4 groove rifling and shipping was about $400.00 all in. Donor Vanguard $500.00. Stocked to my specs say $400.00 - so with adding an extra $300 for Hiland Arms Hiland Arms to coat I am at $1600.00 - this one will stay in the safe.
FWIW look at a Howa 1500 in the same caliber. Weatherby OEMs barreled actions from Howa. You won't have the fancy name but might save some $. Howa used to sell just barreled actions too and since you're swapping stocks anyways, might save some coin there too.

FWIW look at a Howa 1500 in the same caliber. Weatherby OEMs barreled actions from Howa. You won't have the fancy name but might save some $. Howa used to sell just barreled actions too and since you're swapping stocks anyways, might save some coin there too.
The Howa barreled actions and production rifles have 22in barrels. The re-bore, crowning, etc… shortens starting length of the barrel. I really like that idea but it doesn’t work out. I want to finish at 22in barrel minimum. I need a local smith who isn’t back logged forever. I ain’t got the patience or attention span for all that. That’s why I am looking at the rebore of a Vanguard. Be done just in time for my 50th Birthday in January is my plan.

The Howa barreled actions and production rifles have 22in barrels. The re-bore, crowning, etc… shortens starting length of the barrel. I really like that idea but it doesn’t work out. I want to finish at 22in barrel minimum. I need a local smith who isn’t back logged forever. I ain’t got the patience or attention span for all that. That’s why I am looking at the rebore of a Vanguard. Be done just in time for my 50th Birthday in January is my plan.
ER Shaw sells nice barrels, they shoot. They also will rebarrel your rifle and they offer a .35 Whelen. I would give them a call or find a local smith who can order the barrel and install it for you.

Back
Top Bottom