Range report -- Walther PPQ M2 vs H&K VP9

gamadmex4502

Default rank <4000 posts
ODT Junkie!
116   0
Reaction score
I admit that I do not get to the range very often. It runs in spurts. My buddy has a membership at Sandy Springs Gun Club, so it was a chance to shoot for next to nothing last Saturday. I figured I'd give a couple new acquisitions a try. I got the PPQ recently from another ODT member. I'd wanted one for a while, and this was a lightly used Navy model with the threaded barrel at a pretty good price, so I got it about a month ago. The VP9 was purchased at a gun show around the same time. It another one that I had my eye on for a while.

Short version -- Both my buddy and I preferred the VP9 to the PPQ. The PPQ had a fair amount of snap to it, although not too dramatic. The trigger of course was pretty amazing. Accuracy was good, and I eventually got a bit more accustomed to the snappiness as I shot more. Having seen several reviews of the VP9, I expected something quite similar. What I got was quite a dramatic difference in felt recoil, as in hardly any. I found the trigger to be also quite good, perhaps equal to the PPQ. Accuracy at least for the two of us was better with the VP9 than the PPQ as well.

The VP9 has become one of my faves now. If you get a chance to shoot one, you should.

Glad you like the VP9. I'd take a PPQ over a VP9 any time of the day though. Just a better built gun, and that has a proven track record over the brittle VP9. Trigger is better in the PPQ. VP9 has a longer reset and more take up. And I prefer shorter resets. The ergos are better in VP9, so much so that I wish the PPQ had VP9's grip.

Not sure what this 'snappiness' is, but my PPQ M2 is in 45 ACP, a soft-shooting round to start with.

I've heard good things about the VP9, but I do like the Walther trigger better, and it's breathtakingly accurate. I could see the VP9 being more controllable though, with all the ergonomic touches they've added.

The VP9 is my favorite 9mm auto pistol I've owned. I have yet to find a fault with it. It's definitely the most accurate.

Though I've yet to shoot a VP9... I have owned 2 PPQ's. I agree with the snappiness claims....

Though it seems silly to say "snappy" about a 9mm gun... it certainly has more snap than other polymer guns I've shot. The high(er) bore axis... combined with the extremely curvy frame... results in it being harder to hang onto than many other guns.

The trigger is phenomenal... the magazines are nice. I like everything about it... except the "shootability" for me personally.

I do LOVE the construction of the PPQ... I just wish it fit me better. It needs a blockier frame! :becky:

Back
Top Bottom