• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Raising a boy..

Young children do not realize that there are consequences to their actions until they reach age 7 or 8. It may seem that they do at a younger age when they realize that their actions are going to result in some form of punishment, but they do not consciously think about the fact that a given act could result in some form of punishment until they are about 8.

Young children do not realize that there are consequences to their actions until they reach age 7 or 8. It may seem that they do at a younger age when they realize that their actions are going to result in some form of punishment, but they do not consciously think about the fact that a given act could result in some form of punishment until they are about 8.

Are you serious? 8 Years old before they are held responsible for knowing what's going on.
I raised 3 kids and I didn't have any problems from the time they were old enough to crawl, not walk.
When you tell a child "no" ant the next time they start for the "no" item, they look back at you. That's when you should know that they might can't speak the English language, but they can surely understand it.
A long thin dried switch works very well at getting the point across, and usually doesn't have to be repeated.

What are the tantrums you people speak of? I think one of my kids might have started a floor kicking tantrum, but they soon decided that the attention they were getting just wasn't quite worth it.

It's not today's kids that are the problem it's yesterdays parents.

My kids were treated like they had plenty of sense, therefore the acted like they had plenty of sense.
If the "ADD/ADHD" started acting up, I considered it a wax buildup in there ears and a little heat on the seat would melt it and we would be right back to paying attention again.

I have had numerous compliments on how well behaved and well mannered my children were.

They are all grown, college grads, and still know how to behave.

MacTavish, you should get a puppy and don't start training it until it's about a year old and let us know how that works out.
Do you really think a kid has to be 7 or 8 before they realize that the eye on the stove could be hot, or that a thorn will puncture your kin and hurt, or if they kick a cinder block with bare feet it will curl up their toe nail?

Kids that are treated like they have some sort of mental disabilities, usually wind up with some warped sense of right and wrong.

Being a parent is being in authority. If you are involved and love your kids through your actions there shouldn't be an issue. But despite all good parenting, some kids just turn out to be jerks and/or liberals. After all, stubbornness is in our nature as human beings.

There is a huge difference between being an authority figure, and behaving in an authoritarian manner.

consistency is key.

set the rules out.
when a violation occurs, explain the rules again and reinstate the consequence for additional infractions.

when they do it again, explain why they are being punished and be consistent with the previous statement ...unless it involved bazooka or selling them to a pack of travelling gypsy's.

:D

consistency is key.

set the rules out.
when a violation occurs, explain the rules again and reinstate the consequence for additional infractions.

when they do it again, explain why they are being punished and be consistent with the previous statement ...unless it involved bazooka or selling them to a pack of travelling gypsy's.

:D

So you constantly tell your child everything twice?
Do you think that when they get a job that everything will be explained twice?
Do you think their school teacher will explain everything twice?

I taught my kids to count to one, because that was all I was going to tell them. By not repeating one's self, helps cure the infamous "ADD/ADHD".

So you constantly tell your child everything twice?
Do you think that when they get a job that everything will be explained twice?
Do you think their school teacher will explain everything twice?

I taught my kids to count to one, because that was all I was going to tell them. By not repeating one's self, helps cure the infamous "ADD/ADHD".

Sounds too much like an "Authoritarian." Someone's feelings might get hurt.

Here's what you need to remember: You get what you reinforce. What you ignore dies.

With respect to learning to your son learning to say "no," during these "terrible twos," remember that you want him to have enough gumption to say no when someone asks him to do something stupid a few years down the road. I'm not saying that you will never have to use punishment, 'cause there are times when you can't think of anything better to do. Just use it sparingly. Reinforce the behavior you want instead.

Back
Top Bottom