• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Radiation detection equipment

mountainmoped

Default rank <2000 posts
ODT Junkie!
32   0
Reaction score
I have often wondered how the many nuclear weapon tests from the late 1940s until the Atmospheric Test Ban in 1963 has affected our health. I hope nuclear weapons are never used again but it wouldn't surprise me if they were. India and Pakistan could use them, Israel apparently came close to using them at one time, North Korea could use them and Putin has been making threats.
A problem closer to home is the unshielded nuclear reactor in Dawson County, Georgia. It was built to test the feasibility of a nuclear powered airplane. It didn't work out but it was later used to assess the effect of massive radiation on different materials. Scientists would go into an underground bunker and activate the mechanism that raised the reactor out of the ground. When the research ended the facility was sealed up and abandoned except for periodic inspections to survey background radiation and people that sneak in to explore. The cancer rate is higher in Dawson County and Pickens County and the damage to the surrounding forest is still visible. I have one lab quality.geiger counter, several survey meters for detecting.levels of radiation too high to measure with the geiger counter, and several dosimeters.

It's not a bad idea to keep a supply of potassium iodide tablets on hand too.
No need here in ga ................. we are on the first strike target list ............ LOL
The bad ; We are Toast Man ...... ! Game Over ........ ! The Good ; Getting Vaporized is better that a slow painful DEATH .................

Been there and tried this. Radation isnt above normal background levels. Now that giant sinkhole in the road, havn't measured that. i'm sure its not part of the collapsed facility

Back
Top Bottom