• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Question on shipping a pistol to get slidework and optic cut

It has been a few years, but last time I sent a pistol:

You can send it anyway you like, except by US Mail; only an FFL may use the mail.

FedEX and UPS have rules about having to overnight ship it. But those are company rules, not laws.

So, you can follow the rules or not, that is for you to decide. But, you must follow the Laws.

Like I said, it has been a few years. Call the UPS or FedEx to find out for sure.

Or use an FFL to send it through the Mail system.

It has been a few years, but last time I sent a pistol:

You can send it anyway you like, except by US Mail; only an FFL may use the mail.

FedEX and UPS have rules about having to overnight ship it. But those are company rules, not laws.

So, you can follow the rules or not, that is for you to decide. But, you must follow the Laws.

Like I said, it has been a few years. Call the UPS or FedEx to find out for sure.

This is correct. UPS and FedEx want you to overnight handguns. That is their policy.
The problem with that is, when I'm printing my label to ship a handgun from here to north GA. To overnight it is $50 and to ground ship it is $15. Doesn't matter which option I pick, it's gonna travel on the same trucks and get there by the same delivery driver the next day no matter which button I click on. One just cost about 4 times more than the other.

But of course I would never break UPS policy :lol:

T

But of course I would never break UPS policy :lol:

Violating the tariffs "rules" of an interstate common carrier is a violation of federal law.

It's all grins and giggles until you have to make an insurance claim.

Violating the tariffs "rules" of an interstate common carrier is a violation of federal law.

It's all grins and giggles until you have to make an insurance claim.
Don't plan on ever making any claims against damages, I pack everything bomb proof. But if they flat out lose my package they will be paying me for what I insured it for.

But if they flat out lose my package they will be paying me for what I insured it for.

Fed Ex and UPS require you to declare the contents. They are going to pay you for the contents regardless of how much insurance you have on it.

They are fully within their rights to require you to show a purchase receipt or other proof of ownership of the shipped item.

If you declare the package to contain "machine parts" as often is advised, and it gets lost, and you really were shipping a pistol contrary to their tariffs, you get a nice letter from the company explaining insurance fraud, and explaining that is also a federal felony for an interstate shipment. I used to have a copy of the letter; it's very impressive. it comes from their legal department, not an adjuster type person.

They will deny your claim, then you have to decide how much time and money you want to spend to prove a point.

UPS pretty much denies all claims on the first go round anyway.

Back
Top Bottom