Question for used Harleys.....

troutman

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
53   0
Reaction score
I used to ride sport bikes and I am now looking for a good used Harley. I really like the Road Kings.

With that said, how many miles is too many on an engine? I understand that maintenance and how the bike was taken care of makes a difference.

Thanks for any feedback

I used to ride sport bikes and I am now looking for a good used Harley. I really like the Road Kings.

With that said, how many miles is too many on an engine? I understand that maintenance and how the bike was taken care of makes a difference.

Thanks for any feedback

I would take a used Harley to a Harley dealer and let them check it out. Money well spent.

Thanks for any feedback

Harley Engines are so under stressed, you shouldn't have an issue putting 100's of thousands of miles on one as long as you keep oil in it. Motorcycle engines last as long as car/Truck engines, but most people never put big miles on bikes.

It all depends on how it was ridden. Hot dog any engine and you'll start seeing problems early. Buy one from an old geezer (I humbly fall into that category now) and you'll stand a better chance that it was tended to properly. Mine is an old bike with a 2008 motor, and 62K miles. Runs like a champ though because I'm easy on it.

I had a 94 EVo. Had to rebuild the top end at 14000. I think the previous owner didn’t maintain it and dogged it. Don’t recall how many miles on it when I sold it. Kinda wish I still had it.

Not a Harley owner but owned dozens of other bikes.Like someone already said, the motor could be perfect but if the suspension and drivetrain are worn badly you have worse problems than a motor problem. In general on motorcycles the things that will get you killed are.
Worn swing arm bearings,bushings or seals that lead to bearing seals
Worn axle bearings
Worn headstock or bearings from improper adjustment
Damaged/worn forks.

I would rather have a perfect chassis with motor problems than a perfect motor with chassis problems.

I agree with all of this. I currently own an EVO and a Twin Cam. Like any internal combustion engine, the oil is like blood. Keep it fresh & clean to get maximum life. I’ve seen dogged out bikes with less than 10K miles with serious issues. I’ve also seen an EVO with almost 200K with nothing wrong but a few leaks. BTW - I also belong in the geezer category & both of my bikes are for sale - CHEAP.

Back
Top Bottom