• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Question for all you meat smokers (not that meat hehe)

Npowers66

Default rank <5000 posts Lifetime Supporter
ODT Junkie!
358   1
Reaction score
image.png
Picked up my first offset smoker. And I'm really excited to smoke some ribs or pork butt or something. Any one got any tips ? Temp recommendations ? A few questions I have. Somebody told me when I use the smoke box I need to put a few coals in the grill part as well. But wouldn't that make it too hot ? Where can I get actual logs of Apple wood or hickory ? I was told stay away from mesquite wood. Ive een the chunks I can at homedepot or Wally.

I smoke everything at 225 degrees.

Pork butt smokes at 1 hour per pound +1 hour

Poultry smokes at 30 mins per pound.

Brisket...smoke for 4-5 hours, then wrap in foil and continue for 9 more hours.

Rubs and other ways to season is subjective and doesn't matter...the only thing that stays the same is the cook times and temp.

Good luck and have fun!

I smoke everything at 225 degrees.

Pork butt smokes at 1 hour per pound +1 hour

Poultry smokes at 30 mins per pound.

Brisket...smoke for 4-5 hours, then wrap in foil and continue for 9 more hours.

Rubs and other ways to season is subjective and doesn't matter...the only thing that stays the same is the cook times and temp.

Good luck and have fun!
Yuuuuup

Burn that thing out first, or your first batch of ribs will taste like Krylon. A preburn will also give you a chance to play with your intake, and exhaust. Like everyone else said, 225 degrees is ideal. You can use straight charcol, just stay away from the fast light stuff. Straight Kingsford is the standard. 50/50 charcoal and Hickory is a good place to start. Dont forget the number one ingredient needed when smoking. Lots of cold beer. Good luck.

Low and slow. Just play and see what works. Constant temp is key. Charcoal chimney starters are a good investment too! You probably won't be completely happy with your first couple of smokes. Just keep with it. One of my favorite hobbys!!!

Back
Top Bottom