• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Question about stolen firearm recovery

Trailrider

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
117   1
Reaction score
So I got a random phone call out of the blue today from the Brookhaven PD. They found a firearm that was last listed in the firearms DB in my name that I purchased in 2020 from an FFL. They wouldn't give me details of how/when it was recovered or if it was used in a crime. I was of course honest and said no I actually sold that firearm a couple of years ago. They asked if I had a record of it or any proof/paperwork of who I sold it to. I informed them that no it was a private sale, and I have nothing and don't know how to prove I sold it. But I told them it was not stolen from me.

So, how does this normally play out? They just move on, or keep trying to find out who last owned it? Do they want this info to return it? Or just more of a papertrail of how it wound up where they found it? I'm just curious. I'm not worried about it. Just interested on how something like that works in the LEO world.

So, your friend claimed the gun was his when he knows he sold it to somebody else long ago? Sounds like he committed a crime of stealing a gun!

Along with the crime of making false steep it's to the polize.

Interesting. Yeah I wasn't expecting the call and of course was honest that I'd sold it. But then I got curious and started wondering. What will they do with it, if nobody claims it? I'm not trying to commit a crime or lie to police. Just curious what they do in that situation, since they did contact me as the owner...

What they did was a trace. They found the records from the manufacturer to the distributor and from the distributor to the FFL from whom you purchased the firearm. That's why they contacted you. If your name comes up frequently from these types of traces, you'll likely get a visit. If not, no biggie.

You did the right thing telling them it was no longer yours. You will most likely not be offered to "come get it." It will be held (in evidence) until whatever case it's associated with is adjudicated and then released for disposal according to the agency's policies holding it (auctioned off down here, destroyed in Blue areas).

About a year after I sold a car in 1995 I got a call from an impound yard in Marietta saying I need to pay them $150 and come get my car.
Remembering the individual I'd sold it to, I went to go look at it cause I was curious and close by and actually still had a spare key I'd found later in my tool box to it.
I get there and my old Monte Carlo had some shiny spoke rims on it and the interior was absolutely trashed. I looked in the glove box and there was the signed Title and "bill oh sail" just how I'd given to him. Looked at license plate and there was my old plate.
The mf'er never did anything but drive it away that day I sold it to him and change wheels/tires. No new title, registration, tag, and obviously no insurance!
I just shook my head walking away that day thinking who the **** does something like that how they must have been raised.

About a year after I sold a car in 1995 I got a call from an impound yard in Marietta saying I need to pay them $150 and come get my car.
Remembering the individual I'd sold it to, I went to go look at it cause I was curious and close by and actually still had a spare key I'd found later in my tool box to it.
I get there and my old Monte Carlo had some shiny spoke rims on it and the interior was absolutely trashed. I looked in the glove box and there was the signed Title and "bill oh sail" just how I'd given to him. Looked at license plate and there was my old plate.
The mf'er never did anything but drive it away that day I sold it to him and change wheels/tires. No new title, registration, tag, and obviously no insurance!
I just shook my head walking away that day thinking who the **** does something like that how they must have been raised.
Funny you mention that. I sold a boat about 8 months ago. I just now got the email from DNR that somebody is trying to register the boat and wanted to confirm I no longer owned it. I guess some folks just ride it out until they get caught or try to sell it and realize it's not in their name to sign over.

I had the same thing happen a few months ago regarding a bike that I had traded into a dealership 7-8 years ago. I explained to them that I had gotten rid of that bike years ago. They asked if I wanted it but after they confirmed it had been laid down and had some damage, I had them send me a release form and let them have it.

We do ot for one of three reasons.

1: if it has been reported stolen. If so we can trace it back to the rightful owner and have it returned.

2: if it was used in a crime (ie. A shooting and tossed) we trace it back to potential owners and have somewhat of a starting point to figure out who committed said crime.

3: if you loose said firearm (ie. Leave it on the bed of your truck and drive off) and a honest person turns it in.

The last one happens more then people think blieve it or not.

Back
Top Bottom