• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Question about feeding/baiting?

fslc94

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
328   0
Reaction score
I put up a tripod feeder on the back forty in August and filled it with good high protein stuff and will feed that until end of September and go straight corn. I also put out a protein type block and a mineral block. I’m getting good activity, my cell cam sends pics everyday, all kinds of critters. Question is, I see folks that just dump piles of corn, doesn’t it just rot, or does it matter? TIA!

I put up a tripod feeder on the back forty in August and filled it with good high protein stuff and will feed that until end of September and go straight corn. I also put out a protein type block and a mineral block. I’m getting good activity, my cell cam sends pics everyday, all kinds of critters. Question is, I see folks that just dump piles of corn, doesn’t it just rot, or does it matter? TIA!
My biggest concern with feeding of any type but most especially in piles is the spread of disease. Imagine 30 people sharing a lollipop.

Depends on the size of the pile and the number of deer that frequent that pile, I would think. If it were to sit, get rained on, bake in the sun before it was consumed, then yeah, probably not the best way to feed deer.

Depends on the size of the pile and the number of deer that frequent that pile, I would think. If it were to sit, get rained on, bake in the sun before it was consumed, then yeah, probably not the best way to feed deer.

That was my thought as well. Good point by Horsehat Horsehat , I had not thought about disease. I just see folks doing it and it seems wasteful.

Making piles of corn allows all animals to feed in one spot. Not a good idea no matter what how fast they eat. Deer are a browzer, they like to move and feed. With the lack of a feeder use a seed spreader and spread it out. Deer like this much better. Also more than one deer can feed at the same time. You know how some are protective of the piles.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I put out a little pile today, just waiting on some of them deers to show up now........
Screenshot_20170822-141704.jpg

Back
Top Bottom