• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Question about criminalizing pistol braces....

They got rid of that December 'guidance' because they flagrantly violated federal law by trying to create a 'rule' outside the process. They were about to get the snot sued out of them by several groups if they tried to rush that lame BS through as a real rule.

From several folks interviewed it was more a signal of the ATF management wanting to show they were open to playing ball w/ the Biden administration than anything else.

You can bet the new 'guidance' won't have much of anything to do with the old December document. They won't make that mistake again.

Here's a thought that just occurred to me during a recent conversation. What if they've suspended the cease and desist knowing that large numbers of us would rush to build "braced" pistols so they could reinstate it and have us behind the 8 ball to either A. Use the numbers of suddenly illegal pistols as a selling point for their liberal agenda, or B. Use those numbers to push confiscation. or C. Something worse I haven't thought of.
Basically, I'm saying, what if it's all part of their bigger plan all along.....

there will be no illegal pistols, but a lot of illegal short barreled rifles.

I'm not in favor of a ban, but I don't see how there could be an confiscation, as you have to have a legal pistol to begin with, and you can remove the brace.

Not an expert, but even on an AR-15 type pistol, you could put on a 16 inch barrel and be legal. Or remove the stock/brace entirely, then let BATF figure out what you have.

Just gotta wait ‘til the dust settles and they issue a ruling.
Then decide on what’s legal and how any item you might possess fits in the picture.

t
Post up pics of your illegal machinegun and prove how you don't 'compromise'.

Until then you can keep your 'will not comply' chest-thumping to yourself, or go back to Reddit where the rest of the trolls live.

For 70 years or so, everyone, shooters, manufacturers, BATF, tree hugging snowflakes, understood that you couldn't put a stock on a handgun, although such stocks had been used on Colt SAA and Mauser Semi Automatics (see thread on estate sale fine). Life went on, some would say life was good.

Then the AR-15 "pistol" came out, and surprisingly, there wasn't much stir about it.

But having no stock and just a recoil spring tube sticking out the back, it is a bitch to shoot, so the idea of "braces" was developed. Life was generally still good.

Then the smart people starting making stocks, I'm mean braces, that look exactly like a stock, except maybe a little shorter. The even smarter people filled the interwebs with videos showing them shooting their "pistols" just like a "rifle" and bragging about how they were working around BATF regulations. Sort of like making a marijuana growing video, showing you home address and car tag.

As I said, I'm not particularly in favor of banning braces, mostly because I don't think SBR should be regulated in the first place, but no reasonable person can deny that the brace aficionados brought the current state of affairs on themselves, AND that if braces are banned WE all will be RIGHT BACK where we were about 1990 or so.

No one has to compromise on anything.

I mean I can see getting definitely butt hurt if someone takes you favorite toy away but it is no sense a Constitutional crisis

Trying to figure out what exactly they are passing doesn't mean I'll comply with it ...
They are not passing anything that I know of. Bills are proposed in the house all the time and often even pass the house. That doesn't mean they will ever become law.

But this won't be a bill, it will be an ATF 'rule', the same as they did with bump stocks.

We won't have any real clue on how they will try and get what they want until they publish the rule for the comment period. Hopefully they will screw up the process like they did last time so it can be legally challenged right out of the gate. Otherwise it could be like the bump-stock cases still winding their way through court.

Post up pics of your illegal machinegun and prove how you don't 'compromise'.

Until then you can keep your 'will not comply' chest-thumping to yourself, or go back to Reddit where the rest of the trolls live.

just because they don’t appear in pictures often doesn’t mean they aren’t out there. Every trip to California I make I’m amazed at the number of illegal SBRs and machine guns I see out there. The tighter they make the rules, the more people say “**** it” and do what they want.

Back
Top Bottom