Property tax... Did anyone else get $300 jump on mortgage payment?

This years or last?

Would have to be 16 or 17, the 2018 "tax season" hasn't started yet. Appeals on current year valuations start about June 1 and run for several months. Notices are mailed in Feb, you have until April to ask for an appeal, then the hearings start in June. These are rough dates for Gwinnett only. Your county will vary.

A alnen

I'm in the NE corner of Paulding and my valuation went up 41,000 from last year so yes my mortgage went up, though only by half of what you're seeing. Still, they have killed everyone because of Bentwater and Seven Hills which is where we're at. Just built 2 years ago and we're putting the house up and buying land, between the ridiculous taxes and the moronic decision to build the water plant we've had enough.

images
So much for the tax cut!

Real estate is hot again, so it's no real surprise that property values are jumping up again. Hopefully you had a nice 9-year period where they were a lot less, after the crash in 2008.

Some of it you have to take in stride, but if your country is raising taxes to spend recklessly, then you need to vote the suckers out of office. That's a problem in Fulton or Dekalb, but hopefully Paulding isn't that far down the tubes.

If your property value has risen significantly and your equity has increased see about having you PMI eliminated. It used to be that if the mortgage was 80% or less of the valuation then the mortgage company would allow you to drop PMI.

You need to follow up with your bank. They are required to explain to exactly what they are collecting the escrow for. It's not unusual for a bank to build in an escrow "cushion" which is illegal now, but still happens.

But it sounds like the bank is collecting the $1500 from last year, and the same $1500 for this year, which would be reasonable. I don't see any advantage to paying the entire $1500 UNLESS they are taking the position that they advanced the money, and now you are repaying it with interest.

They still owe you an exact accounting of the escrow account.

I've been lucky so prop tax hasn't gone up in a while but insurance is a pain in the booty, they always seem to go up for no reason and then the bank will up my mortgage. Highway robbery. Insurance agents rank right in there with used car sales men in my book.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom