• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Progressive reloading press options

D Rich

Default rank <1000 posts Supporter
Frontiersman
55   0
Reaction score
I have a single stage lee press that I use for precision rifle and low volume ammo, but I have been looking to get at progressive press for 9 mm and 45 competition loads. I pretty much dismissed the lee presses because while they seem to work ok when tuned, you almost never see a good review where there are no issues. Right now I am looking at the Dillon square deal or 550 (not a true "progressive" I know) or a Hornady L-N-L. I am looking for any first hand experience from any of these and if any one has either of the dillons set up and running I would love to see them in action and get a little crash course. My brother in law has a L-N-L so I know it runs well.

Thanks in advance. Also if you have one and are looking to get rid of it let me know too.

A year ago I was looking at them and was set on the Hornady LNL for the price vs. features and quality. I ended up just staying with a LEE turret and have put my funds more into buying loading supplies for the future rather than a progressive press.

G.P. makes a good point on the turret speeding things up at a much lower cost. It'll never compete with a true progressive though. I've used presses from just about every manufacturer under the Sun. I don't care for progressive loading period. I'm much to anal about case prep.

That said, if I were to buy another progressive of any type, right now it would be "Blue". One thing in favor of you purchasing the L-N-L instead would be your outlaw having one already.

Of course if I found a L-N-L cheap enough, that would likely sway me. Dillon just has progressive figured out. Combine that with great support and that gives me my answer.

Your best bet would be using the outlaws press for free!

I have had a Dillon 550 and a Lee Loadmaster. I still have the Lee and sold the Dillon. The lee does take a little tinkering with but most of that is the pace of the user not the machine. As for lone term durability I just crossed the 125,000 round mark on the Lee and it went back to Lee for an indexing problem a few small parts that should have been replaced a long time ago and it is as good as new.

Your best bet would be using the outlaws press for free!

This! Save the cash for components!
I have a LNL, I've had a few minor issues with it. Hornady Customer service has been great about solving them. A small part on mine is close to breaking, called Monday and it arrived at no charge today.I'm guessing all have some issues so check and make sure the service is up to par. And buy a RCBS Lock out die!

The lockout die is definitely going in. Some of the loads I plan on doing are very "hot" ( 9 major ). So I will need all the passive safety's I can get. I would use the in laws but it's a little far to drive very often and since I have started doing competitions my ammo usage has got a little out of control, so it would be nice to have it easily accessible.

Just purchased a LNL a week ago and am just setting it up this weekend. I have a Lee single stage already, but the progressive 5 stage was just too intriguing. I also purchased the automatic case feeder and the automatic bullet feeder (found out after the fact that the bullet feeder is mostly for pistol loading). Can't wait to get it up and running! Two of my stages will be a lock out die and a powder cop die for added safety, since I wot be using the bullet feeder very often.

Back
Top Bottom