• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Problem on Hunting Land

hops2899

Default rank <2500 posts
ODT Junkie!
117   0
Reaction score
So I was granted permission to hunt on some property this year and I have been actively scouting. Last weekend I noted that there was a faint odor of a rotting animal but never located it. Went back today and the odor was unbearable in a particular "hot" area so I went to looking a little harder this time. What I discovered was that, along some somewhat obscure trails, unopened packs of meat and what looks to have been fish have been thrown around and were rotten and the cellophane beginning to swell. The flies, maggots and yellow jackets were all over the place. One other person has permission here and says that he did not do any such thing(I thought maybe he had thrown meat to bait coyotes). How would y'all go about catching the person responsible? This is a very thick area and would be extremely difficult spot to reach at night and I don't really want to chance losing a trail camera that they may see during daylight. Do you think that the deer have probably already been run off?

I have no idea how to catch the person, but you might be surprised at how little this will effect the deer. They smell decay frequently and have no reason to fear it. In fact, this is why canines role in dead things. It's mother natures cover scent.

So I was granted permission to hunt on some property this year and I have been actively scouting. Last weekend I noted that there was a faint odor of a rotting animal but never located it. Went back today and the odor was unbearable in a particular "hot" area so I went to looking a little harder this time. What I discovered was that, along some somewhat obscure trails, unopened packs of meat and what looks to have been fish have been thrown around and were rotten and the cellophane beginning to swell. The flies, maggots and yellow jackets were all over the place. One other person has permission here and says that he did not do any such thing(I thought maybe he had thrown meat to bait coyotes). How would y'all go about catching the person responsible? This is a very thick area and would be extremely difficult spot to reach at night and I don't really want to chance losing a trail camera that they may see during daylight. Do you think that the deer have probably already been run off?
the deer are more likely to be run off by you going in an out over and over trying to catch someone than they will by this rotting meat.

That's weird. I have always hunted way out in the country. Never hear a car and rarely hear a gun shot. But if I was you... I'd want to know WTH is going on there. Put up a trail cam and get some hard evidence. In the trees is nice, but on the ground is fine too if you know how to conceal it. I'm definitely not one to play around with potential trespassers and poachers. Good luck with it. Keep us updated.

Back
Top Bottom