• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Private Land Shooting - North GA

SinFin01

Default rank <1000 posts Supporter
Frontiersman
62   0
Reaction score
With the closing of Wilson Shoals for renovations (due to re-open Feb 2019), I’m looking for somewhere to shoot outdoors North of Metro ATL.
Does anyone have private land available for responsible shooting? I’m willing to provide some ammo and targets if you would like to join me.
Thanks for any thoughts or suggestions.

I doubt anyone would rent to a bunch of people for an unsupervised shooting club. We could all pitch in to buy something. North GA acreage is pretty pricey nowadays. South GA (well below Macon) east of 75 and going up east of Macon to south of Augusta still has really good acreage prices. Like 800-1k an acre when you find a good deal. Everybody wants acreage at a good price within usable distance north of Atlanta.

I've looked into buying land before. It usually requires that you put down 25% of the purchase price up front and the interest rates on the loan will be slightly higher than interest rates for a house (think 4.75% for a house and about 6% for land). With that being said, if you had 4 guys go in together as equal partners, draw up an agreement with an attorney, etc. it wouldn't be that hard to make the payment, it would be more of a challenge to make the downpayment. If there was a piece of land for $200,000.00 say it was about 150-200 acres, it would require a down payment of $50,000.00. Divide 50,000 by 4 = $12,500 per member. And go ahead and round that up to $15,000 per member just to be safe (I'm not sure if the closing costs on the loan are the same as a house loan or cheaper, but that increase should cover it, plus cover a shed for hunting camp?).

The monthly payment would be about $1200 split 4 ways, so $300 per member, per month, and that's for 30 years.

I ran the mortgage numbers with an online mortgage calculator, unfortunately, it wouldn't copy and past without losing the data, but here's the website you can run the numbers for yourself. https://www.mortgagecalculator.org/

Other things to consider would be adding an additional two members to bring it up to 6 people total, which would bring the monthly payment down to $200/month per member. It would also bring the down payment down to $8,333 (50,000/6) and round up to $11,000 for closing costs.

You could also go the other direction and buy about 100k worth of land between 4 people and figure the numbers would be roughly half of the 200k.

Really, the thing to do is to find a group of guys who are all in and just start saving money, the land will be there when you're ready.

I am interested in buying a piece of land and setting it up as a private shooting club. I am not talking about a large facility, but perhaps several 300 yard-ish rifle bays and several 25 yard pistol bays. I plan to own it and sell memberships, yearly, or, for life. I would like that it has a clubhouse, but if I can get it powered and plumbed and it put down a septic that can be accomplished.

I am not worried about financing, that and insurance will be my problems. For me to be in the deal it must be located no more than 30 minutes from the Gainesville Marina. I do not want it to be too near neighbors that will cause a problem.

Please, whether you are interested or not, if you see something that meets these requirements, let me know!

Back
Top Bottom