• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Pretty dang close to the way the Army did me…..

Same thing happened to me. When I was a captain I had to rank order about 45 duty stations. I put 101st for my top 5, 10th mountain, 25th ID, 4ID then did the smaller units no one heard about or places that have cool outdoors stuff.

I put Fort Bragg, NC dead last. There were 5 openings, and I put all 5 at the bottom. I even told my branch manager that I didn’t care where I went as long as it wasn’t to the 82nd.

I got orders two weeks later to 1st BDE, 82nd.

I always figured no one ever looked at that dream sheet after you filled it out. It's almost an incentive, I'd think, for them to send you somewhere you don't want to go because it would give them leverage for retention, but I doubt they put that much thought into it.

I always figured no one ever looked at that dream sheet after you filled it out. It's almost an incentive, I'd think, for them to send you somewhere you don't want to go because it would give them leverage for retention, but I doubt they put that much thought into it.

There were 96 people in my captains career course. Only 5 of us were airborne and tabbed. All 5 of us went to the 82nd. I think that’s as much thought that they put into it. lol

I told my branch manager that everyone who is in the 82nd are a bunch of window lickers and he emailed me back with “I was in the 82nd.” I apologized and told him that I guess this isn’t helping my case to go to a different unit. lol

Same thing happened to me. When I was a captain I had to rank order about 45 duty stations. I put 101st for my top 5, 10th mountain, 25th ID, 4ID then did the smaller units no one heard about or places that have cool outdoors stuff.

I put Fort Bragg, NC dead last. There were 5 openings, and I put all 5 at the bottom. I even told my branch manager that I didn’t care where I went as long as it wasn’t to the 82nd.

I got orders two weeks later to 1st BDE, 82nd.
LOL Fayettenam.

Hard to beat Olongapo: close your eyes and imagine 300 incoming LBFM's
Fixed it. When I reenlisted I was stationed in Mayport FL. I told them I wouldn'dt re-up unless I got west coast orders. I wanted to do a West Pac cruise and see Asia. I got orders to Hawaii and $8k bonus. Got to spend quite a bit of time in Olongapo. Craziest New Years ever spent there.
I was stationed at NAS Cubi Point Subic Bay, PI 1983-85 and have more than 500 missions over **** River. 😆😆😆

02956C7F-CEB9-4B83-AF5E-50BFC2033385.jpeg

I was in the AF as a Crew Chief on 130s, 141s and C-5s

I was stationed at Pope (Ft Bragg) and had my overseas, long and short ribbons, just from time TDY all over Europe and Asia..
Been to every place mentioned in this thread I think, most of the time we were housed at decent hotels (Hilton during Bright Star).
Lots of partying and women. This was in the early eighties, when we were respected around most of the world.

Back
Top Bottom