• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Pre/post Bladeshow buy

SOLGardener

Default rank <3000 posts Supporter
ODT Junkie!
57   0
Reaction score
The Sunday night before Bladeshow I was on Gunbroker watching a knife auction. In the auction was a Blackjack Halo, and Parker Tanto and a Spec Plus blade.

I've wanted the Blackjack Halo for around 27 years. By time I REALLY wanted one, they were selling upwards of $200 and sometimes nearer to $300. The Blackjack Halo is an iteration of the Randall 15 Attack. It's not a direct copy, but has similar lines.

So I was watching the auction and with 16 minutes left, placed a bid. I was winning it and at two minutes left got nervous and decided to bump my bid by another $10, so that reset the 15 minute clock... :censored:! I forgot that there's no sniping on GB, so only delayed my winning the auction. 15 minutes later, the auction closed and I won.

I was a bit nervous because the photo on GB was crappy, and the knife I was after might have been trashed. I decided if it was used hard at all, I'd just make it a backpack knife and be glad I had one, even if I overpaid.
pics.gunbroker.com_GB_560720000_560720901_pix427682971.jpg

I made payment on the auction on 5/31 and the shop was closed on Memorial Day. The guy said they'd ship Wednesday or Thursday by two day UPS. I was hoping to have it/them by Blade so I could take them with me. My hope was to sell the Parker and the Spec Plus to reduce the overall cost of the auction. On Thursday I called back and they said they had delays in shipping due to the holiday and it'd go out on Friday, so no Bladeshow fun.

So I arranged for pick up at my local UPS hub and grabbed the box at lunch. Just like Christmas, I pulled the knives out of the bubblewrap bag one by one, saving the Blackjack for last. The Spec Plus is a neat little knife with that Randall style blade profile, the thing weighs near nothing. I couldn't identify it before, but it's an SPC 23 Ranger model. It, like the other three are unused, new condition less having been stored in the sheaths. The Parker is another that I could find almost nothing about. I finally found one photo from a sales post on knifeforums from back in 2010 or maybe earlier. Again, it's new with a weird black oxide finish on a "surgical stainless" blade from Japan. From what I've read, the "surgical stainless" is an indicator of AUS6A. The sheath has never been on a belt and is unmarked and decent, thick leather. So finally (all of about 30 seconds of dragging it out on the road back to work), I pulled the Halo out of the bag. The thick brass cross-guard is gleaming in the summer haze around the chicken plants. I hear the faint chorus of angels singing to God Almighty about the awesomeness of this culmination of steel brass and micarta wrapped in an Eagle Mfg cordura sheath. I click the "Pull the Dot" snap on the strap. and with hopeful anticipation, withdraw the flawless five inch blade. Drool puddles, a boner throbs, fingers caress the perfectly executed finger grooves, a smile grows wide enough to make my ears hurt- but alas, I'm driving and wielding a weapon of mass decapitation and am coming to a green light. I must return it to it's abode until I get off work.

It's gonna be a long day. I bought one knife at Bladeshow. I mentioned it in the thread. It's a 4.5" Vulture Equipment Works Talon. I've since found out that they're made by TOPS for Vulture. I figured I could flip it if nothing else. Turns out it's an awesome knife and cuts/chops like a much bigger knife. As my index finger can attest, it's very very sharp. Tip to self- don't try to hone extremely sharp knives- there truly is such a thing as too sharp.

I'll put up pics of the goodies from today. I just had to share the thrill of conquest in winning an auction that turned out to be a great deal.

The best part is that you seem to be about to put some to use. I always hope people use mine. My FIL uses a pretty one I made like a rented mule. I did ask him to let me sharpen it rather than using a file like he normally does. My Mom puts hers to use daily in the kitchen and my Dad will probably end up cutting wire with his haha. I love it.

I have a Blackjack #5 that is new production. I look forward to comparing the two Blackjacks. The blade profile is very similar, but I can tell already that the HALO has a more tapered, thinner blade and softer lines. I'll post pics of them side by side. I haven't see much comparison to new vs old ones.

Whiskerz- at Bladeshow, I handled a number of Randall 14's and 15's with the finger groove grip. Honestly, when I picked up with the first one I thought "crap. I don't like how this feels." The spacing between the finger groove seemed wide to the point that it spread my fingers out weirdly. I still think Randall is the hallmark and standard for these type of knives, but based on the feel, I was kind of concerned that this Blackjack would be a drawer knife and never get used. There is something different about the cut for the finger grooves in the HALO. It fits literally like a glove in my fingers. I'll be able to bear using this knife. I couldn't even think of splitting kindling with a $500+ Randall.

The Parker is the one that I'm a little intrigued by. It's clearly not a high end knife. It's the epitomy of mid-late 80's fighting style knives. "revolutionary" plastic grip (zytel, phenolic resin, whatever), "space age" steel, and a nicely made sheath with Velcro strap.

I meant to post this earlier. Yesterday I ordered a sheath for the HALO. I ordered it from Savage sheaths http://www.savagesheaths.com/. I ordered the Randall Type C and he's making it for the HALO blade profile. I'm getting this one, but for a 5" blade with black snaps. $62 shipped. It's gonna be a tought set up.

www.savagesheaths.com_Styles_images_randall_c_randal_14.jpg

Here are a couple pics of the knives from GB with my Stag #5 in for comparison to the HALO. The bottom pics shows the Vulture Talon from Bladeshow. I did some paper tests last night and while they're all sharp enough to cut into the paper (magazine cover type glossy paper, a little more rigid than printer paper), the HALO could shave tiny curls from the side of a cut.
IMAG0300.jpg

IMAG0301.jpg
IMAG0303.jpg
IMAG0306.jpg

These are nice. I love fixed blades and I am really digging the Blackjack...And I'm not a fan of brass, but it pops nicely on that piece. Congrats

The newer Stag #5 has a 6061 aluminum guard. I hate that they used aluminum. It should have been nickel silver. I'm with you on the brass. Normally I wouldn't want it but it fits this style of knife perfectly.

A quick update with a pic of the Savage sheath in Randall Type C style. I e-mail Harry Savage of Savage sheaths about making the sheath for the HALO. He replied back that he could make it specifically for this blade profile. It fits perfectly, like it "was made for it".

Also a lil pic of the sharpening stone I cut for the pocket. My dad worked for Norton for many years and at some point brought home a couple scrap pieces of (reportedly) Arkansas whet stone. I can't find any pics of Arkansas stone that is this color- it's a striated blonde stone and a fine or very fine grit. I won't actually use it on the convex grind, but had a couple of 6x6x1" blocks of stone and happened to have a stone/tile saw. I'm needing to make a convex strop, but will likely be buying a Doan magnesium firestarter block for the stone pouch. The stone pouch is fitted for a 3'x 7/8"x 3/8".

IMAG0307.jpg
IMAG0313.jpg

Back
Top Bottom