• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Practiced making some snares today (pics)

kevinosborne

Default rank <300 posts
Tracker
3   0
Reaction score
Couldn't shoot so the 5 yr old son and I decided to practice woodcraft. The first two are simple trip wire spring snares, the third is a pressure snare, and the fourth is a bird snare (the first time I've tried this one). I built it too big. I think it would be much better with smaller string, weight and trigger, but I wanted to work on the mechanics.

There are no nooses attatched because the dogs run in this area.

Close up of the trigger. The trip wire runs left and the spring wire runs up.
i56.tinypic.com_2ag0rbl.jpg

View of spring snare #2 showing the ends and crossbar which provide a rest for the trigger.
i51.tinypic.com_dpfn6o.jpg

Look for the string tied around the trigger. It's about 1 1/2 inches from the top in the center. Any pressure on the (pad) of small sticks will press down the horizontal stick, releasing the trap.
i53.tinypic.com_104iz2a.jpg

Trap being hidden
i55.tinypic.com_9fyxvs.jpg

Pressure pad is about 1 1/2 inches below the shovel in the picture. Instead of being hidden, this type of snare is often baited by putting the bait and noose directly on the pad. Easy and very effective.
i51.tinypic.com_2f07lnb.jpg

The "Perch Snare"
In theory this trap is placed in an open area and maybe baited. When a bird lands on the perch it falls out, causing the rock to fall and the loop to pull tight, catching the bird by the legs against the post.
i54.tinypic.com_azdieu.jpg

The weight of the rock helps hold the perch stick in place.
i55.tinypic.com_4hsb5t.jpg

i56.tinypic.com_dq2ask.jpg

The closest I ever got to making a snare was "Mouse Trap". And I wasn't very good at that. Them things look like aboriginal IQ tests. ;)

lol..The bird snare actually is an aborigional design. I found it on line googling "bird snares" and decided to try and make one. As far as them being an IQ test, they really are simple to build and a lot of fun. Plus good skills to have.

I'd probably be the first critter in history to gnaw my leg off trying to MAKE one. We used to take the drawer out of the bottom of the fridge when I was a kid, turn it upside down, toss bread around and UNDER the drawer, tie a string to a stick and hide. Then when the birds(pigeons mostly - I lived near Atlanta) would go under the drawer we'd yank the string and catch the bird. Funny, we never thought about eating them tho. ;)

that is awesome, wish you were closer so you could come out in January for the "survival" trip Biker13 put together and teach the group some of the snares. I can make the basic "noose snare" and can make a really, really ugly impaling snare

Back
Top Bottom