• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Ponderings from the deer stand

A serious thought that I have had before while hunting.....who else has hunted this very spot? Not only in the last decade or so ago, but also hundreds or even thousands of years ago?
Where did the Native Americans that left all these arrowheads behind hunt at? What was that person shooting my newly found arrowhead at? Was it a large animal to feed their village or was it a small animal that would be their meal for the day?
I believe that the points like the black chert point on the left side of my hand was made by a man who had seen many years pass. The detail and the super sharp serrations were testament to his skills as an outdoorsman and craftsman. This point was likely one of a thousand that he had crafted from hand in his lifetime.
View attachment 1818881View attachment 1818884
I arrowhead hunted for years, I have around thousand whole points and boxes of broken ones. I'm the same way if I find exposed dirt I'm looking for points. That black one is flint.

Do you think so? I was always told that the light Grey colored material is chert and that Flint was black.
I'm positive. I'll try to remember to take some pictures of both side by side when I get home this afternoon. Either way good finds. I really need to get some of the stuff I have out and post some pictures. I have tomahawks, drills, game stones and all sorts of other artifacts. I used to spend an insane amount of time artifact hunting. Having kids around cut down on a lot of my creek tromping days.

Back
Top Bottom