• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Police: Man shot dead while trying to stop man from beating woman

I figure that a violent criminal is a violent criminal, and s guy who beats his girlfriend in public is like to be the kind of sociopath who would kill you for trying to stop him--if he had the chance.

But, you can't approach a seemingly unarmed man--who is committing a common misdemeanor-- with your gun already out. If he turns out to be unarmed, and the woman's life did not appear to be in imminent danger, you could go to jail for felony agg assist while the other guy goes to jail for misd assault.

The real kick in the pants will come later, when the District Attorney's Office realizes they can't have a good case against both of you at the same time when each one of you has immunity from having to testify. Therefore the DAs office is likely to drop the misdemeanor charges on the one dude so that he can be a free and talkative witness against you-- the one who is charged with a felony !

Any prosecutor would be willing to throw away a potential misdemeanor prosecution in order to get more evidence against a felon, right ?

I figure that a violent criminal is a violent criminal, and s guy who beats his girlfriend in public is like to be the kind of sociopath who would kill you for trying to stop him--if he had the chance.

But, you can't approach a seemingly unarmed man--who is committing a common misdemeanor-- with your gun already out. If he turns out to be unarmed, and the woman's life did not appear to be in imminent danger, you could go to jail for felony agg assist while the other guy goes to jail for misd assault.

The real kick in the pants will come later, when the District Attorney's Office realizes they can't have a good case against both of you at the same time when each one of you has immunity from having to testify. Therefore the DAs office is likely to drop the misdemeanor charges on the one dude so that he can be a free and talkative witness against you-- the one who is charged with a felony !

Any prosecutor would be willing to throw away a potential misdemeanor prosecution in order to get more evidence against a felon, right ?
The most sensible thing that I've read on ODT today.

You never know how these things are going to go down, while breaking up a domestic, (he had beat the crap out of her) as he was cuffed and being dragged out, she attacks me with an ice pick for removing him, ended up both in jail and her with a broken jaw...Some times, both just need to be shot:doh:

But then again if you could articulate that you felt her life, was in imminent serious bodily harm or possible death..Then yes you would be justified in shooting him..But those would have to be present and articulated, severe bodily harm or death.

Back
Top Bottom