• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Picked up a new one to tinker with...

silverado31794

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
130   0
Reaction score
Well I picked up a Springfield 84C rifle the other day, pretty cheap since it so ugly. It also didn't come with a magazine. But I went on Numrich and ordered a mag, rear sight elevator, and a new safety selector since the one it is worn that it will let it fire on safe. This is just going to give me a project to do in the afternoons when I get off work. Haven't decided if I want to reblue it or duracoat it since this will be a truck gun. The metal is pitted towards the end of the barrel. But the bore is good and clean no pits on the inside. As for the stock, I painted a Marlin 60 stock a few years ago with truck bed coating and it turned out nice and lasted a long time, but i may also go ahead strip it and refinish it as well. I have a while to think about it. Well here is the ugly beast. Be nice...

i60.tinypic.com_142shao.jpg

i61.tinypic.com_jigw7m.jpg

i60.tinypic.com_4tq6ue.jpg

i58.tinypic.com_2ijsnk2.jpg

i62.tinypic.com_dr457q.jpg

i59.tinypic.com_35hk76f.jpg

Duracoat, not a big Cerakote fan for guns like this. It seems like a lot of work to Reblue this one, although it would look nice, if it is going to be a truck gun, I wouldn't. Other than that, seems to be a good project. You need to hurry up though so I can see the end result.

You may be pleasantly surprised how nice the patina looks under the rust. I use liquid wrench and a rag...very fine steel wool (wet with liquid wrench) on the really roughly rusted areas and have had amazing results on guns in far worse shape than yours that I would never consider refinishing once done.

Back
Top Bottom