• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Phoenix Arms Raven .25acp

streetroc

Default rank 5000+ posts Lifetime Supporter
DO NOT TOUCH THE TRIM!
53   0
Reaction score
PROS-

Inexpensive- I have owned 2 of these little pocket-pounders and I paid $50 for each of them. They are cheap last-resort weapons and I have seen them all over from $40-85. I have also seen some on the gee-oh-enn S&S boards for $150 or more and that is just ridiculous. These are the epitome of the Saturday Night Special.

Easy to conceal- Not much more to be said here, these guns are only slightly larger than a credit card.

Reliable- Surprisingly, I have never had an issue with either of mine. They eat up .25acp ammo all day long without any malfunctions. Ive never heard of anyone else having trouble with their Ravens either.

Easy to find- I dont think I have ever been to a gun show where there werent at least one or two of these laying around somewhere. You can also find them pretty easily at most pawn shops although many actual gun stores dont want anything to do with them. (Maybe some kind of liability for selling $50 handguns?)

CONS-

Lack of power- The .25acp round is not known for its awesome stopping power. It will serve its purpose and deter an attacker but don't expect to be kicking down doors and clearing rooms with it.

Bad reputation- Ravens are notorious for being used by crack dealers, prostitutes and all other kinds of criminals who are too poor to buy a real gun. There probably isnt an evidence locker in the country that doesnt have at least one of these with a case number on it.

Questionable safety- The safety on these little guns is a 1911 style thumb safety that at least on my two examples is easy to flip when its in your pocket. I would not feel comfortable carrying a Raven chambered.

CONCLUSION-

Its worth $50. They are fun to shoot (although with that tiny barrel they are LOUD!). If you want a backup just to keep in your glovebox or center console of your car its better than nothing. Just dont keep one as your primary defensive weapon unless you are worried about getting carjacked by a chipmunk.

Mine is a good little shooter, carry her with me when I ride my motorcycle. Always fires when I pull the trigger, who can complain for $75. Bought mine used and I have over 500 rounds through it. Good pocket gun!

I worked part time in a gun shop back in the early 1980's. We sold Ravens for $39.95. We never had a complaint about them and never had one brought back for a mechanical issue. They just ate everything that was fed to them and just kept shooting.

I always wanted to catch one of those bleeding heart liberal bunches that was paying $75.00 for any gun you turned in. I had plans on buying a case of Ravens, turning it over to them and turning a quick $840 profit. To bad none of them ever did it close by where I lived!! DANG!!!

I've had two Raven .25 ACP pistols. The first one had the original 'slide' style safety which was rather hard to operate and undependable. The newer model (which I still have) is the nickel-finish with black plastic grip panels. The newer model has a thumb-operated flip type safety that in my opinion is much better than the older type. My Raven is very dependable especially with Winchester or Federal 'Classic' .25 ACP ammo. One make of ammo I do not recommend is CCI Blazer. That is the only ammo my Raven will occasionally have a jam with (bolt slams shut on an empty). I suspect it is because the CCI ammo is uneven in power from round to round. Although the .25 ACP round is way down on the scale as far as power goes: I would not want to get hit with one. At ten feet I've put rounds clean through a hay bale (the length of the bale). I bought it to carry while cross-country skiing late at night through woods and fields around where I live. Didn't want to carry my Ruger Bisley .22 revolver so just wanted a cheap small easy to carry pistol. They are not hunting guns, nor target guns, nor are they real cheap to shoot (.25 ACP ammo is more expensive than it should be) but they serve a purpose of 'better than nothing'. I'd say they are a good buy for what they are.

Back
Top Bottom