• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Petition to help The Complete Combatant Firing Range in Lumpkin County stay open for live fire

Might not be allowed but I saw in the info a GoFundMe.

Might be helpful to contribute to their plans to build out additional sound barriers to keep the peace with their neighbors.

If I was the owner I would be a lot more interested in being a good neighbor if they had come to me instead of trying to throw the weight of government at me.

In Michigan, there is a law that says an existing range cannot be shut down because people bought or built a house nearby.
It's come in handy a few times. Maybe with all of the urban sprawl happening in this state, there's a need for this law here.
Does anyone know any elected state reps or senators who could be talked into writing something up for the next legislative assembly?
I wish we had something like that here. If we did, we might still have dragsrtips and dirt tracks.....

Does anyone know any elected state reps or senators who could be talked into writing something up for the next legislative assembly?

I received a response from my representative.

Thank you for your thoughtful email.

I share your concern but do not have the bandwidth to introduce this kind of legislation. I only have one more session at the Capitol and my priorities are already set.

There might be another representative or senator who has the passion to pursue this with you.

If I was the owner I would be a lot more interested in being a good neighbor if they had come to me instead of trying to throw the weight of government at me.
I agree, what's done is done though.....that whole can't unwind a clock thing. Best thing to do is still try and keep it peaceful. Still have to live near them.

It’s prudent to note that the complainants against Etowah Valley would block the entrance, throw trash in the entrance, and close and padlock the gate while customers where on the property. I rather suspect that it’s activists who have a sympathetic ear on the County Board rather than folks who just don’t like the noise.

Do you have any info on this law? Or have any links you can point too?

The Sport Shooting Range Protection Act dates to 2007, but only covers a range being threatened with a shutdown due to noise -- not safety or non-conformance with other zoning and building codes that are not about noise.

After talking to a friend who’s pretty knowledgeable with how county governments work, and looking back over the petition, I think the owners of TCC made an error.
They are trying to run a commercial range on private property that is zoned as agricultural. Unless they have either already met or are willing to meet the requirements for the change of zoning they are probably not going to be successful. Even if they meet the requirements they will be fighting an uphill battle as complaints have been made to the county.

Back
Top Bottom