PCU for computer

DADI03

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
97   0
Reaction score
My son is into gaming on PC. We bought him a decent PC for gaming knowing it is needing some upgrades. He has been saving up and now after Christmas he has enough money to get the PCU he's been eying. I'd love to help him with knowledge but I don't play games on computers. If a computer isn't doing something right I turn it off and back on again. If that doesn't work I'm screwed. He's got about $800 dollars. Any recommendations?

My son is into gaming on PC. We bought him a decent PC for gaming knowing it is needing some upgrades. He has been saving up and now after Christmas he has enough money to get the PCU he's been eying. I'd love to help him with knowledge but I don't play games on computers. If a computer isn't doing something right I turn it off and back on again. If that doesn't work I'm screwed. He's got about $800 dollars. Any recommendations?

GPU? Right now, those are pretty short in supply. MicroCenter was doing a lottery last time I checked for anything remotely new with strict enforcement of a limit of 1.

The thing he seems to be focusing on the most is the FPS. Do these have a good FPS rate?

yeah. we need your son's current PC's specs. I misread your OP as PSU.

as DanKATL DanKATL said...probably start with GPU.

gaming PC building is a different deal...FPS is often a combo of mobo BUS speed, CPU clock speed, cores, RAM speed and amount...cooling and then power supply. you need enough power on the 12v rail.

Different games will create different performance bottlenecks in your system.

I think OP is looking for a whole computer, or parts to build a complete one.

Prebuilt is the only sure route currently.

Current cards are starting to show in stock; if you want to pay at or well above an already inflated MSRP. When cards that came out in 2016 still sell for almost $300 there's a problem. Those should have dropped below $150 by now.

Back
Top Bottom