• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Pack weight

I was just making a poor attempt at humor.

Although the the frame stuff is genuine. Really need one if you are gonna carry much.

+1. Frame is absolutely essential, in my opinion. A properly distributed load of 40-55lbs is much easier to carry than a 30-35lb load riding on just one or two points of contact with your body. Also, the bigger/ better your hip belt is, the easier your hike is. With one of those hip belts that are only a nylon web strap, you'll have serious abrasions by mile 3-4.

About 25 pounds, but I don't carry it further than the house to the car. It goes out and about, weekend trips and family vacations. It has pretty much everything we would need in the event we couldn't get to the store for a few days, or if we get stranded on the side of the road in a blizzard.
I have no intentions of ever packing it any great distance on foot, but I could if necessary. Road race training has many benefits beyond beating pr's.

23lbs, but I don't carry weapons or ammo in it. It has everything I need for six days of foot travel and several contingencies. Weapons and ammo add 28.6lbs, so total load is 51.6lbs.

Wow I must really need to lighten my load!!!!!!!! Full size alice pack with a trash can liner I carry everything but the kitchen sink!

****, son-when I was a 115 lbs soaking wet tenderfoot scout, I could hoof my 45 lb pack with tent, sleeping bag, canned food (bad idea-****ing heavy!) 5 or 10 miles over pretty good sized hills, back to the campsite.

Wasn't fun-but we did it, often. Cowboy up!

(Free Tip:Look into a frame pack of some kind. MUCH better for the back to have a straight frame pulling evenly. Not sure what kind you have, but if you are carrying much, or going further than a mile or two, I would say a frame pack is essential.)

My boys and I did Philmont this summer - that was great. 100+ miles - pack weighed about 55 - most of that was food and water.

Wow I must really need to lighten my load!!!!!!!! Full size alice pack with a trash can liner I carry everything but the kitchen sink!

Just remember that if it's a BOB or GHB, you are going to have to be very mobile. You can carry a lot of different stuff as long as you remember that you just aren't going to need very much of most of it. Very small savings in weight add up. Don't carry a tube of antibiotic ointment, carry a quarter of a tube of it. Don't carry water, carry a water purifier. Don't carry MREs, carry dehydrated foods and energy bars. So on and so forth. Every ounce counts.

Just remember that if it's a BOB or GHB, you are going to have to be very mobile. You can carry a lot of different stuff as long as you remember that you just aren't going to need very much of most of it. Very small savings in weight add up. Don't carry a tube of antibiotic ointment, carry a quarter of a tube of it. Don't carry water, carry a water purifier. Don't carry MREs, carry dehydrated foods and energy bars. So on and so forth. Every ounce counts.

I use this one on solo trips in the woods and things of that nature..........

Ammo is really heavy... think i'm buying a pack mule, or a Sherpa. At some point it makes sense to stash ammo at fallback locations... How much ammo weight is too much for a guy just trying to GTFOD?
For you guys who have seen combat, are smoke grenades a viable option for cutting and running if you have the luck of the atmosphere on your side? Worth the weight for patrol/scouting?

Back
Top Bottom