• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Overstamped serial number on Browning SA22

n4rod

Default rank <1000 posts Supporter
Frontiersman
31   0
Reaction score
  1. I'm looking at a used Browning SA22 rifle in a reputable gun shop. It's in excellent condition. The only thing that bothers me is the next to the last number in the serial number has been overstamped. It's a #7 stamped over a #6. What's the legality on this situation?
  2. Rod
    20190330_120714.jpg

Many of the older SA22's didn't even have matching numbers and were only used for inventory. Besides it's on the barrel not the rec. which is the one that counts. Might even be worth more with the over stamping if it can be confirmed with Browning.

I have one that the box, barrel and rec. are all different. Good luck on getting a quick response from Browning, took me like 6mo but that was about 10 years ago.

Both myself and the gun shop owner took this SA22 apart, looking for another serial number. None found anywhere except the overstamped one on the barrel. Nothing on or inside the receiver, bolt, forend, buttstock, or anywhere. I've decided to pass on this one. I just can't get past the idea that I've been taught for the past 60 years of my gun ownership that a modified serial number was not legal. If I ever decided to sell it, I'd have to tell the truth and post images of the modified serial number. Doubt that would help the sale.

Rod

It is imperative that gun owners preserve the serial numbers on their firearms. A person who knowingly delivers, transports, or possesses a gun that has an altered or removed serial number can be convicted for violating federal law 18 U.S.C. § 922(k) and face a sentence of up to five years.

Nope.

Back
Top Bottom