Outside neck chamfer tool that works?

kuduman

Default rank <4000 posts Supporter
ODT Junkie!
51   0
Reaction score
I have a Lyman case prep station with an inside and outside neck chamfer tool, used after trimming cases. And I have an RCBS hand tool. Both leave a nasty little edge on the outside of cases. I don't know if it hurts anything, but I can't imagine it helps, and I fear I'm creating yet another problem if I leave it on there.

There's got to be a better outside-neck chamfer tool. There are several on the market. Anyone got any suggestions? Anyone solved this problem?

Dazzle me with your superior reloading brilliance.

Kuduman

I don't think I can with the photographic equipment I have. You can trivially feel it by rubbing your finger up the neck, and a fingernail hangs on it. It may be insignificant; that's that's a possibility. Perhaps I am over-reacting, but you can definitely feel it, and it's not necessarily the same all the way around the case, thus possibly holding the neck off-center in the chamber. But not by much.

I usually manually scrub the necks with steel wool after chamfering; that seems to help. But it's a PITA, and I'd like to eliminate that step. It helps, but does not get rid of the lip.

If you can rub a fingernail up your neck over the top, and not feel an edge, you don't have the situation I have.

I've suspected a dull cutter. It's not too much pressure, I don't think, but I'll try again with a lot less. On either the trimming or outside chamfering. But it leaves a little ridge, that I can eventually cut off, but takes minutes in the chamfer tool to get it off. This is not a "burr", or something that steel wool or a Scotchbrite pad will remove.

If everyone is not having this problem, maybe it is my tool.

I'll see about getting a carbide replacement.

I'm not clear exactly what you are getting, but if it's an edge on the case mouth you are over doing either the inner or outer chamfer. Or both. There should still be a flat area between the two chamfers.
Typically the inner chamfer is more pronounced than the outer. The outer should be very slight.

I'm not clear exactly what you are getting, but if it's an edge on the case mouth you are over doing either the inner or outer chamfer. Or both. There should still be a flat area between the two chamfers.
Typically the inner chamfer is more pronounced than the outer. The outer should be very slight.

No, it's an edge on the outside, at the bottom (toward the base of the case) of the 45 degree cut. It appears to be brass pushed outward by the trimming operation. To remove it, yes, I'd have to chamfer for so long I'd cookie-cutter the case mouth.

Easy to feel, easy to see with a magnifier. Difficult to photograph.

Back
Top Bottom