Opinions on remanufactured ammo?

RandomUsername69

Default rank <400 posts
Survivalist
13   0
Reaction score
There are a few things to take into consideration.

Engineering-wise, straight-wall brass like 9mm can usually be reloaded many, many times. Necked brass is subject to additional wear that usually limits the number of times it can be reloaded.

Other factors - usually, remanufacturing companies are aiming to deliver you a lower-cost product while generating some profit for themselves, and their choice of components reflects this. Often, this is seen in the use of budget bullets and smokeless powder. You may well find that remanufactured ammo is dirtier. You may find (if you don't check) that the bullets themselves are not FMJs, but copper washed lead, powder or polymer coated or simple lead. Again, nothing wrong with that (as long as your pistol is designed to fire ammo like that), but you might find you have to do more cleaning of your firearms.

The big question is Quality Control. I don't want to imply that ammo remanufacturers are inherently less focused on QC than big name manufacturers, but they are attempting to produce a budget-friendly product, and QC costs money.

It's always worthwhile taking a look at the manufacturers' website - in this case, Capital Cartridge and do some basic diligence - how long have they been in business, what are their reviews like and - even a standard web search to see if anyone has a plausible nightmare story about the product.

Verdict - try a small pack of their ammo in a closely controlled environment, and compare it with brand-name ammo. Watch out for reduced or inconsistent power as you go thru' a mag.

As a reloader I don’t even understand why there would be a question, especially for practice. Using various brands of brass might cause variables in velocity but these could happen even in factory ammo from different lots. Remanufactured ammo is not going, in all likelihood, to be loaded anywhere near maximum pressure levels, but probably directed towards the market seeking practice ammo.

I used to shoot reman ammo exclusively in pistol calibers like 9mm and .45. Mostly from Freedommunitions. Had good luck - some don't like FM.

I did get some reman .45acp from Ammo Valley I think it was. 3 dud rounds out of 500. Slug stuck in the barrel kinda crap. Will never order from them again. Luckily each time noticed the pop/no kick so I stopped shooting to investigate.

Haven't been buying much lately with the price increases.

I tend to go factory new with rifle rounds.

If I ever get back to buying I intend to try from Southern Munitions. They seem to have competitive pricing on reman ammo and I like the idea of supporting local business.

23cpr, not sure about tax or shipping.

I'm surprised they don't have a presence on ODT since they are up in Acworth.

The big question is Quality Control. I don't want to imply that ammo remanufacturers are inherently less focused on QC than big name manufacturers, but they are attempting to produce a budget-friendly product, and QC costs money.

...Watch out for reduced or inconsistent power as you go thru' a mag.

Except for Georgia Ammo, a bunch of other brands of remanufactured ammo I've used has had quality issues.
I've seen primers not fully seated below flush with the case head.
I've seen the necks of the cases damaged, even folded-over, during the bullet seating and crimping process.
I've seen bullets seated to inconsistent depths, either compared to other rounds of the same remanufactured ammo OR compared to big-name commercial brand ammo with the same bullet weight and about the same published velocity.

And of course there's the issue of dirty powder and unburned granules left in your gun-- which isn't that big of a deal to me, but it's worth noting.

All that being said, I will continue to buy commercial reloaded or remanufactured ammo if, and only if, the cost savings is big. But for a few more pennies per round, if I can get factory new stuff in brass cases, that's what I'll do.

All that being said, I will continue to buy commercial reloaded or remanufactured ammo if, and only if, the cost savings is big. But for a few more pennies per round, if I can get factory new stuff in brass cases, that's what I'll do.
Thanks
Except for Georgia Ammo, a bunch of other brands of remanufactured ammo I've used has had quality issues.
I've seen primers not fully seated below flush with the case head.
I've seen the necks of the cases damaged, even folded-over, during the bullet seating and crimping process.
I've seen bullets seated to inconsistent depths, either compared to other rounds of the same remanufactured ammo OR compared to big-name commercial brand ammo with the same bullet weight and about the same published velocity.

And of course there's the issue of dirty powder and unburned granules left in your gun-- which isn't that big of a deal to me, but it's worth noting.
thanks for the input man, I’m looking into buying between 500-1000 so even if it was ~5 cent per round difference that’s fifty dollars saved. I’m beginning to realize this is definitely not a poor man’s hobby.

There are a few things to take into consideration.

Engineering-wise, straight-wall brass like 9mm can usually be reloaded many, many times. Necked brass is subject to additional wear that usually limits the number of times it can be reloaded.

Other factors - usually, remanufacturing companies are aiming to deliver you a lower-cost product while generating some profit for themselves, and their choice of components reflects this. Often, this is seen in the use of budget bullets and smokeless powder. You may well find that remanufactured ammo is dirtier. You may find (if you don't check) that the bullets themselves are not FMJs, but copper washed lead, powder or polymer coated or simple lead. Again, nothing wrong with that (as long as your pistol is designed to fire ammo like that), but you might find you have to do more cleaning of your firearms.

It's always worthwhile taking a look at the manufacturers' website - in this case, Capital Cartridge and do some basic diligence - how long have they been in business, what are their reviews like and - even a standard web search to see if anyone has a plausible nightmare story about the product.

Verdict - try a small pack of their ammo in a closely controlled environment, and compare it with brand-name ammo. Watch out for reduced or inconsistent power as you go thru' a mag.
thanks brother, this is exactly the type
Of insight was hoping to get from y’all

Back
Top Bottom