Opinions About Open Carry?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was open carrying in my house the other day, and my wife started yelling at me about how I am going to lose the element of surprise, and if a neighbor decided to pay us a visit, I was going to scare them and give firearms a bad name. You can't even escape this raging debate in your home anymore... :confused2:

Open carry is often more comfortable.
Open carry can keep your own sweat and body humidity off your gun during the hot summer months here in Georgia.
Open carry usually means a faster draw.
Open carry by polite well-dressed people who look like normal law-abiding citizens makes gun carry (not just gun ownership, but gun CARRY) seem more normal and respectable.
Open carry can lead to curious people asking questions about guns or gun carry laws, which can result in that person coming away with more of a pro-gun, pro-carry attitude than they had before. At the very least, open carry can dispel various myths and misunderstandings about our laws.
If nobody exercised their right to openly carry because of fear of how other people would react, soon enough there would effectively be no right to openly carry. In other words, rights are like muscles-- you have to use 'em or lose 'em.
(Not sure how much I personally believe in that one. I mean, there's no law against putting beans in one's own ears, but I would oppose any such law if it were proposed, but yet I do not feel compelled to go to restaurants and order beans and stuff them in my ears "just because I can.")

Those are the reasons TO carry.
You didn't ask about the reasons NOT to.
So now you have what you asked for.

This is what open carriers look like

cleaver_co.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom