Opinion on 9mm revolvers

Someone on here was trading one of those the other day, but someone else got to it before I did. That is what put this on my radar, I didn't know they made one that didn't require moon clips....

Yeah its the Charter Arms CARR (charter arms rimless revolver) they make one in 40 cal and 9mm. I wanted one but those things are harder to find than a kel-tec rifle lol. They have an ejector system in the cylinder kinds like a shotgun. The reviews I seen of them the rounds have to kinda snap into place instead of just fall in like a conventional revolver. If I ever come across one I will probably snatch it up just to check it out if finances allow.

As others have said my 905 is very snappy. Noticeably more snappy than my G17, SR9C or my kahr. Its manageable but it took a little range time to get used to it.

Gigabyte71, I have shot a couple of 9mm revolvers, S&W 547, which doesn't require moonclips and the S&W M940, which does require moonclips. I have not shot any other manufacturers models. I found the models I shot to be snappy, and without practice, to be difficult to be on target with a follow up round. However, they are no more snappy than a M642 with +P ammo. I would buy a M547 in a heartbeat, at a price I could afford, the M940 not so much, but that opinion is based on the scarcity of the M547. Since I have not shot other models, I cannot and will not comment on those.

I have owned--and shot some with--a Smith & Wesson Model 547, which does not require use of the "Moonclips"...My impression was that it had recoil about like a Bull-barrel Model 10 shot with Plus-P ammo...

FWIW, I believe the 9mm Para. to be SUPERIOR TO .38 Special Plus-P's in short-barreled revolvers...

Oh, yeah...almost forgot...Ed's Public Safety in Stockbridge had a NICE Three-inch Model 547 in the Display Case last Friday...HTH....mikey357

I have owned--and shot some with--a Smith & Wesson Model 547, which does not require use of the "Moonclips"...My impression was that it had recoil about like a Bull-barrel Model 10 shot with Plus-P ammo...

FWIW, I believe the 9mm Para. to be SUPERIOR TO .38 Special Plus-P's in short-barreled revolvers...

Oh, yeah...almost forgot...Ed's Public Safety in Stockbridge had a NICE Three-inch Model 547 in the Display Case last Friday...HTH....mikey357

Is the 547 a single action with a loading gate? Or a double with a swing out cylinder? I was thinking about the ruger combo with the loading gate. I think that would be a neat little 9mm

Charter Arms makes a 9mm pit bull that doesn't need moonclips. But I have not even seen one yet much less shot one. I would like to get my hands on one and check it out though.
I had a pitbull in .40 but the cylinder would stop turning when the trigger was pulled on some shots. Sent it back to Charter Arms, they did a hand adjustment and got it back to me quickly, but you could still move the cylinder around in every direction with your hand.

The S&W is currently going to be out of my price range. The Ruger Blackhawk looks promising, thou it has a longer barrel than what I was looking for, but still looks very promising. The Taurus 905 looks more like what I am looking for, but I am skeptical after the video reviews I have seen. As for the pitbull, based on what others have said, I would be leery at this point.

Ruger's New Model Blackhawk "convertible" in 9mm / 357 does NOT require moon clips, shoot very well and clusters the shots equally between 38 & 9mm rounds at the indoor gun range.

Yes, the Ruger sp101 does use clips.
Nor does the "old model/original" Blackhawk convertibles.

To me after using the 905 the only thing holding it back in my opinion is the flimsy moon clips which can be remedied by aftermarket clips. Other than that mine has performed well I would keep the 905 and be happy with it if it weren't for my love of my p-9.

One draw back could be if you like to shoot the steel cased 9mm. I got on a Tula buying phase a couple of years ago. But I have been burning it up at the range and replacing it with brass anyways. So that part don't bother me much the steel stuff will be gone soon. Gotta say I love my steel cased 7.62 Golden Tiger though

To me after using the 905 the only thing holding it back in my opinion is the flimsy moon clips which can be remedied by aftermarket clips. Other than that mine has performed well I would keep the 905 and be happy with it if it weren't for my love of my p-9.

One draw back could be if you like to shoot the steel cased 9mm. I got on a Tula buying phase a couple of years ago. But I have been burning it up at the range and replacing it with brass anyways. So that part don't bother me much the steel stuff will be gone soon. Gotta say I love my steel cased 7.62 Golden Tiger though

Do you have to use the moon clips? In the video I was watching, it appeared that he only occasionally used the clips.

Back
Top Bottom