• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

ONE THING that is easy to overlook when making prep plans...

Billrube

Default rank <2500 posts
ODT Junkie!
128   0
Reaction score
Bathroom business.

This might essentially get a chuckle but it's a real item to be placed fairly high on your prep list.

In the event we lose water at the homestead, we need to have contingency plans for potty usage. To flush a toilet manually requires a lot of water dumped in the tank just for one successful flush.
I don't know how many of us take for granted the water covering up solid waste really reduces the smell. If you don't have water you need a way to handle this...or yo' hous be gettin stanky!
Just one of those things to think about.
I believe there are several different kinds of plastic bag/camping style toilet options out there.

If you are bugging IN you need to be prepared to either cap or plug all drains, sinks bathtubs and showers. J-traps/P-traps are designed to prevent the escape of gasses/smells back into the house by using standing water as a plug. If you don't use the sink/tub long enough that standing water will evaporate leaving an unplugged vent from the sewer/septic tank back into the home.

A composting toilet is a good investment. You can also get seat tops that go on five gallon buckets.

Urine can be added (diluted) directly to gardens. Solid waste needs to be composted for a very long time (up to 2 years) to be safe to use as compost. Not in my current plans for gardens devoted to food production.

Back
Top Bottom