old winchester project.

gunsbillygun

Default rank <400 posts
Survivalist
31   0
Reaction score
i just picked up a older 60's mod. winchester 30/30, compleatly taken apart, found i was missing some screws and a finger leaver stop pin, but for what the parts coust and what i actualy have in the gun it ant too bad, wood seems to be in good shape but was wondering about refinishing the stock and for arm, also the blueing on the gun is real thin and was wondering if anybody could tell me what is the best way to redo it, myself, or should i go and have it done, i checked into having a gunsmith do it but the price was around $300, so what is the best way to do it at home.

Don't sand where the wood meets metal or any of the checkering. A chemical furniture stripper and a toothbrush from a big box store would be advised. Many sporting goods stores sell Birchwood Casey Tru oil to refinish stocks. It comes with instructions and a hand rubbed oil finish looks great. Without seeing the metal it's a little more difficult to see what you're up against. Don't just go willy nilly with sandpaper. I have gotten good results with the Hoppes gun blue kit. it also comes with instructions but hot water and a gazillion coats sure looks good.
Have you called Winchester about refinishing it? It would definitely be worth a call to see how much they would charge. I'm sure their work would be impeccable.

Back
Top Bottom