• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Old Smokey Charcoal Grill

zesty

Hen of Fame Lifetime Supporter
not fully clean
67   0
Reaction score
i1021.photobucket.com_albums_af334_vacillator_photos_Stainless_Steel_Gas_Barbecue_9248.jpg

http://www.oldsmokey.com/Products/OSCG/18oldsmokey.html

I bought this grill for camping and for a secondary grill when we have people over. Overall, I'm pleased with it. It has more headroom than my 22" Weber so grilling beer butt chicken should be easier. After breaking it down, it packs up tight and I was able to fit everything I need into it (all the grill pieces, charcoal, utensils, brush, etc). It fit perfectly under my truck box. I exchanged the nuts that it came with for wing nuts and I was able to do the setup pretty quickly.

Here's what it looked like when I got it home after camping:
i1021.photobucket.com_albums_af334_vacillator_photos_IMG_0995.jpg

I did have a few problems with it though. The three legs are not very stable, especially on an uneven campground site. I bought an accessory that lets you hang the lid off the side of the grill while you're flipping... what a joke. It makes the grill even more unstable and it tipped over. Also, one of the legs bent out and failed so it tipped over again. Thankfully no food was lost either time. Those events weren't totally the grill's fault, but there are some definite issues.

I plan to make some better legs for it, but if I was just using it in the back yard it'd probably be fine the way it is. Another vent or two might be nice but I'll hold off on that for now. I did add a thermometer which was easy to install; the only problem is that the metal is pretty thin so that is another delicate spot on the grill now.

PROS
- Made in the USA
- Inexpensive
- Compact
- Lots of 'head room'
- Should be easy to customize

CONS
- Thin material
- Takes a bit of work to setup/breakdown
- Not very stable
- Low to the ground
- The lid has a loose fit unlike a Weber grill.

OVERALL
- Decent grill for the cost
- It'd be much better with a few upgrades
- Best used as a 'sometimes' grill, probably not for the serious back yard chef.

Back
Top Bottom