• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Old deer hunting gear needed

jastricker

Default rank <3500 posts Supporter
ODT Junkie!
192   0
Reaction score
This will be my first deer hunting season, and I am a poor disabled guy with limited resources. I have ready spent a few hundred dollars on gear. I was just wondering if anyone upgraded to some gear clothes shoes, and if you do not need your old stuff. As I would really appreciate any help I can get. I really need some snake proof boots size 8 1/2 or 9. I wear a large shirt and 34 waist pants. I could use a trail can and just about everything else I jus bought one pair or pants, shirt, and an orange hat lol. I might have something you need and can maybe work out trade or something. Thanks for helping me great ready to hopefully stock the freezer full of meat thanks

The biggest thing I need is snake proof boots as my luck I will get hit by a copperhead or something. I also could really use a safty harness for a deer stand if anyone has an extra one or is into beenie babies as I found a couple worth some cash

you don't really need any snake proof boots if your hunting upwards of atl in the winter but if your down south i guess you may ..but i do see your worries

Man no spare gear here, but will give you some good advice based on my experience. Having tried darn near every deer hunting gadget known to man at one time or another and throwing good money after bad don't feel like you need every deer gadget known to man. Leave the calls rattles and other crap at home. They tend to spook more deer than they attract but are great at attracting hunters money from their wallets. You wont need game cams, climbing stands, blinds, pee from every doe that was ever in a pen or hundreds of other gadgets.

What you will need is a good comfortable place to sit like a really comfortable cushion or pillow.
A rifle with a decent quality scope and ammo.
Some warm dry clothes and boots preferably in layers and it doesn't hurt if it's camo. (Georgia days can warm up quick) I also like a mask when ground hunting.
Your required orange vest, Don't worry deer are color blind and don't see well out of their spectrum. The darn things will walk right up to and over you if you don't move and they dont smell you. Even if they smell you they will stomp and blow and stand there looking stupid trying to get you to move most often.
A small backpack with lunch, water, snacks and a couple of small items like a lighter, flashlight, knife, a camera and maybe some cordage.

Go find a spot in the woods around some oak trees where the ground is tore up from the deer scratching acorns. (preferably ahead of time and note the location of any obvious trails coming into the area.) Strike the lighter and see which way the wind is blowing. Find a spot where you can lean against a decent sized tree to break up your silhouette that's downwind and close to where the ground is torn up. (with the leaves still on the trees you'll see much better and more territory from the ground)
Set up your cushion comfortably with your back against the tree and strike the lighter again to be sure the wind is still in your favor.
Gently brush the leaves away from where your legs are to help stay quiet. If the leaves are scratched up and turned over, they are coming to that spot.
Sit still, don't move and be quiet until you kill a deer. You'll be glad you don't have all that crap when it comes time to get a deer out of the woods. Keep it simple you'll be glad you did and your wallet your nerves and your patience will also thank you.
I hope this helps, Good luck and take pics :)

Last edited:
This will be my first deer hunting season, and I am a poor disabled guy with limited resources. I have ready spent a few hundred dollars on gear. I was just wondering if anyone upgraded to some gear clothes shoes, and if you do not need your old stuff. As I would really appreciate any help I can get. I really need some snake proof boots size 8 1/2 or 9. I wear a large shirt and 34 waist pants. I could use a trail can and just about everything else I jus bought one pair or pants, shirt, and an orange hat lol. I might have something you need and can maybe work out trade or something. Thanks for helping me great ready to hopefully stock the freezer full of meat thanks

Are you gun or bow hunting? Ground or climbing a tree?

Don't believe you need the boots. Most snakes will get out of your way and you won't see them. In all the years I have been hunting I came across one cottonmouth in the woods. I have seen more poisonous snakes in my yard than in the woods.

Hunt the wind!

I'm in Woodstock as well. I will go home today and round some stuff up. I'm sure I have some extra stuff that I could part ways with. No boots though. Got an extra fanny pack, a call, and what ever else I can find.

Man no spare gear here, but will give you some good advice based on my experience. Having tried darn near every deer hunting gadget known to man at one time or another and throwing good money after bad don't feel like you need every deer gadget known to man. Leave the calls rattles and other crap at home. They tend to spook more deer than they attract but are great at attracting hunters money from their wallets. You wont need game cams, climbing stands, blinds, pee from every doe that was ever in a pen or hundreds of other gadgets.

What you will need is a good comfortable place to sit like a really comfortable cushion or pillow.
A rifle with a decent quality scope and ammo.
Some warm dry clothes and boots preferably in layers and it doesn't hurt if it's camo. (Georgia days can warm up quick) I also like a mask when ground hunting.
Your required orange vest, Don't worry deer are color blind and don't see well out of their spectrum. The darn things will walk right up to and over you if you don't move and they dont smell you. Even if they smell you they will stomp and blow and stand there looking stupid trying to get you to move most often.
A small backpack with lunch, water, snacks and a couple of small items like a lighter, flashlight, knife, a camera and maybe some cordage.

Go find a spot in the woods around some oak trees where the ground is tore up from the deer scratching acorns. (preferably ahead of time and note the location of any obvious trails coming into the area.) Strike the lighter and see which way the wind is blowing. Find a spot where you can lean against a decent sized tree to break up your silhouette that's downwind and close to where the ground is torn up. (with the leaves still on the trees you'll see much better and more territory from the ground)
Set up your cushion comfortably with your back against the tree and strike the lighter again to be sure the wind is still in your favor.
Gently brush the leaves away from where your legs are to help stay quiet. If the leaves are scratched up and turned over, they are coming to that spot.
Sit still, don't move and be quiet until you kill a deer. You'll be glad you don't have all that crap when it comes time to get a deer out of the woods. Keep it simple you'll be glad you did and your wallet your nerves and your patience will also thank you.
I hope this helps, Good luck and take pics :)
I seem to get 1-2 a year to come in close enough for a shot with a grunt call. The biggest buck I killed was tailing a doe, they were traveling behind me in some thick stuff heading the other way. Soon as I hit the grunt call the doe stopped did a 180 and came straight to me, with the buck hot on her tail. I would have never got a shot if I wouldnt have had a grunt call. I don't leave the truck without it on my neck. I never call blind but only if I see one and it's going the other direction. Bow hunting I use every trick I can to get them in range, and after seeing a grunt call work many times I have 100% faith in them.

Back
Top Bottom