• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Official ODT Silver Thread

I just want to tell a little story about silver. I was in the bank last week, Wednesday, and as always I asked if they had an half dollars. Teller said no but there are some in the vault so I bought 2 rolls. Got them and she mentioned they had another 43 rolls left. Got home and opened up the 2 rolls and found a total of 5 Kennedy halves from 1965 to 1969 so they are 40% silver. Next day I got more cash and went and bought the other 43 rolls. Went through them, found a total of 40 40% halves (2 rolls) and 7 90% Kennedys and 1 Franklin Half and 8 really nice mark free halves for my coin collection. Rolled up the remaining 41 rolls and took them to a different bank and deposited them. So for a 20 dollar investment I got over $100 in silver. Not a bad days work.

I have a little bit of scrap silver and some war nickels I’ve been holding onto I’d like to get off the shelf. Is stuff like this sellable?
Late reply but I would call different coin shops and see if they are buying sterling,last I checked coins and more in johns creek was buying sterling.I don’t mess with war nickels so I have no idea about those.

I just want to tell a little story about silver. I was in the bank last week, Wednesday, and as always I asked if they had an half dollars. Teller said no but there are some in the vault so I bought 2 rolls. Got them and she mentioned they had another 43 rolls left. Got home and opened up the 2 rolls and found a total of 5 Kennedy halves from 1965 to 1969 so they are 40% silver. Next day I got more cash and went and bought the other 43 rolls. Went through them, found a total of 40 40% halves (2 rolls) and 7 90% Kennedys and 1 Franklin Half and 8 really nice mark free halves for my coin collection. Rolled up the remaining 41 rolls and took them to a different bank and deposited them. So for a 20 dollar investment I got over $100 in silver. Not a bad days work.
That's sweeeeet!!!
I've not heard of finding silver coins in rolls for a VERY long time!!! congratulations!!!
wonder if a customer brought them in.......

Silver mining. It used to be fruitful but bank tellers are wise now and hardly nothing gets through.

That's sweeeeet!!!
I've not heard of finding silver coins in rolls for a VERY long time!!! congratulations!!!
wonder if a customer brought them in.......
Actually I talked with the teller. She said Grandpa died and he had saved half dollars for a long time. Grandkids inherited the coins, had no interest, rolled them up and took them to the bank and cashed them in for their $430 inheritance. I'm sure that doesn't happen often and I was lucky to be there at the right time since the bank only needed 7 more rolls to have a full box they could send back to where ever they get their coins from.

Most bank, while they will order boxes of coins for you, are not fond of keeping rolls, especially in the vault since it is more stuff to count at the end of each shift.

all the folks here who talk about giving away silver coins to their children/relatives(including me!!) this is what happens...not all the time...BUT some times.....during our summer vacation last year, my 11 year old granddaughter, and "her money", she wanted to go to Walmart to buy "stuff"...in her purse were 2 silver dollars that I had given her.....she would have gladly given them to the cashier, if asked to....

I might try that tomorrow when I go to the bank. Even if I crap out with no silver I can just put the halves in my big Folgers can of change which I cash in for silver when it gets close to full.

Sucks to sell silver, dealers are buying 90% of spot and doesn’t matter if it’s a silver eagle they won’t give a crap for premium. My guy tells me he has to go by the melt value and I was like dude no one melts silver eagles…. Well I have to go by that while eagles are sitting like almost 50% premium….

Where do you all go to sell physical metal? I know this is the silver thread but I just asked at a local place in dalton ga what he is paying for gold and he quoted 1950. Spot is 2309 plus the premium for the coin and he wants to buy at 1950$ . I didn’t ask silver prices .
Send me a pm with what you have? I am always buying gold and silver coins and jewelry.

Check some of my listings

Back
Top Bottom