• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Official ODT Silver Thread

Are there any advantages or disadvantages to buying coins over bullion and vice versa? Sorry if this has been discussed in this thread already.. It's pretty long. And best place in Atlanta area to buy? Thanks.
Can’t help with the best place to buy.
depends on your thoughts as to why you hold silver. In a situation where currency fails, denominated silver coins will become a substitute currency, as to a degree American Silver Eagles, Maple Leafs and other small weight trusted silver coins and bars. Bars would be more useful as a store of wealth to hedge against inflation or place a bet on a rising bullion market. hope this was helpful

silver coins(American) Eagles or junk(old silver coins) are the easiest to sell...thus buy....eBay is a good place....APMEX is also good....KITCO is good too...what works best for you is the best....I'm not sure of any sellers like you can find on the innerweb here in Atlanta

Are there any advantages or disadvantages to buying coins over bullion and vice versa? Sorry if this has been discussed in this thread already.. It's pretty long. And best place in Atlanta area to buy? Thanks.
As for my modest stack ( under 40 ozs so far) I only buy bullion and 90% junk silver. I have 2 Silver Eagles and 1 Maple Leaf. Only reason I have them is I got a good deal because they were circulated and kinda dinged up. I prefer to buy Sunshine Mint rounds, Buffalos and 1oz Apmex/Sunshine Mint bars.
Might be an amateur move on my part but I have no interest in paying the premiums that Eagles and other gubment minted coins go for.

Can’t help with the best place to buy.
depends on your thoughts as to why you hold silver. In a situation where currency fails, denominated silver coins will become a substitute currency, as to a degree American Silver Eagles, Maple Leafs and other small weight trusted silver coins and bars. Bars would be more useful as a store of wealth to hedge against inflation or place a bet on a rising bullion market. hope this was helpful
I agree with your comment. Ad far as bars go I am bidding on a 5 oz now . I would like to add one or two 5 oz bars to my stack but that's as big of a bar as I would want.
In a situation where silver would actually be currency I believe a lot of people would be looking crazy when presented with bars. And the bigger the bar the bigger the problem in bartering with it.
As fas as the 90% junk silver I just got into that but I can see the appeal. Premiums are lower and being fractional makes it much better if it had to be used as currency. So far my favorite is the dimes and half dollars. It adds up quickly.

boy does it!!
I've been trying to get $250 face of walking liberty's....up to $100....hard to get it all together at $225+/- a $10 roll...not as bad when they were $165 a roll when I started....
I'll get there....then on to the the quarters....wanting $250 face of each domination....
already got the silver dollars....going down hill...so to type
looking for $1,000 face of "junk" silver....I do have some bars, and Libertads....I don't count those as far as my barter $ goes...not they they are not, just the way I'm looking at it right now

Back
Top Bottom