• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

ODT help me on a paper?

oneill

Default rank <2000 posts
ODT Junkie!
62   0
Reaction score
Have a paper I'm writing for a PolySci class and was hoping some of the folks on here could help me out. I'm looking for examples of the United States purusing liberal economic relations with authoritarian states and whether it backfired and/or worked to our mutual advantage. The question is,

"Economic ties with powerful but authoritarian states like the People’s Republic of China can be a two-edged sword. On the one hand, they can promote political and economic liberalization in such states, potentially leading to democratization. On the other hand, they can help such states become more formidable military adversaries, for example, by giving them access to resources and technology they otherwise might lack. Should the United States emphasize free trade and investment with China (as liberalism prescribes) or should it restrict trade and investment in the interest of national security (as mercantilism prescribes)?"

Thanks. Laxguy where you at?

I'm not sure what college you attend, but info supporting both sides should be easily obtained. Most colleges in GA have access to the Galileo network, by utilizing that you should be able to find numerous peer-reviewed articles pertaining to this.

But I must ask, does your professor allow you to voice and support your ideals, or do they grade according to what they believe? Either side could easily be supported as well as easily refuted.

There's been millions of words written on this concerning China, going back at least 40 years. The vast majority in the diplomatic corp have always believed that economic liberalization always leads to political liberalization. I've always considered this logic faulty but I can't remember this not being conventional wisdom. I think you would be hard pressed to find an example that truly supports this. Japan and S. Korea are close but liberalization was imposed from the top, pretty much together. Just because the right to vote lags does not mean political freedom doesn't exist, the right to freely leave I think is more important.
China is interesting because of the situation with Taiwan. The interest we owe on China's portion of the debt almost covers the cost of their military, and we are obligated to defend Taiwan if attacked.

Have a paper I'm writing for a PolySci class and was hoping some of the folks on here could help me out. I'm looking for examples of the United States purusing liberal economic relations with authoritarian states and whether it backfired and/or worked to our mutual advantage. The question is,

"Economic ties with powerful but authoritarian states like the People’s Republic of China can be a two-edged sword. On the one hand, they can promote political and economic liberalization in such states, potentially leading to democratization. On the other hand, they can help such states become more formidable military adversaries, for example, by giving them access to resources and technology they otherwise might lack. Should the United States emphasize free trade and investment with China (as liberalism prescribes) or should it restrict trade and investment in the interest of national security (as mercantilism prescribes)?"

Thanks. Laxguy where you at?

I'll think on this one then get back to you, its my last day at work and after my run in this morning I'm mentally checked out

Back
Top Bottom