ODT brain trust advice on rangefinder

gregar

Default rank <1000 posts
Frontiersman
39   0
Reaction score
Hey all,
I'm needing a rangefinder for deer hunting, and occasional varmit control. Would like to be able to range for bow, and rifle out 600 yards. But on a budget here. looking for user recommendations.
thanks
Greg

I've never used a rangefinder that was good for over 400 yards, but that one was in the $100 price range, and I tested it at 100 and 200 yards at a long-established shooting range, and it was accurate. It gave the exact readings it should have from the firing line to the targets at those two distances.

P.S. As other people have pointed out to me, if you are able to stand in the middle of a line between two points you want to measure the distance between, you can double the effective measuring range of your device. If your 400-yard rangefinder is what you want to use to measure a distance that you think is about 600 yards, just stand approximately in the middle of that line and take two measurements-- one looking back and one looking forward. Add them together to get your range.

P.S. The one I used at 200 yards had some issues knowing which tree trunk in the forest that I was putting the laser on. Since I could not actually see the laser dot. I suspect it was a few inches out of alignment with the crosshairs. But when I aimed at a big 3-foot square target backing board, I know I got the right spot to take my measurement from.

Used Vortex Razor 4000HD will put you just over the $300. I'd run with that and grow into the rangefinder.

Thanks guys,
Id like to stay under $300, and I could probably be fine with 400 yds. Which is still way out of my shooting range!

Back
Top Bottom