• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

NRA Defensive Pistol Qualification

HeadHunter

Default rank <1500 posts
ODT Junkie!
157   1
Reaction score
I really like the NRA Defensive Pistol Qualification program. It's a very good intermediate step for those who have a little training or practice but want to tune their skills up. Since it's self paced, it's a good option for people who don't have a lot of time or money for training but still want to improve their skills. For those of you trying to coach a family member, this could be a good way to get them started in skill development.

Contrary to popular belief, the National Rifle Association is not just a gun rights organization but continues to follow its original mission of promoting marksmanship practice. The Winchester/NRA Marksmanship Qualification Program is a self paced shooting program for many different disciplines. A new addition to the MQP is the Defensive Pistol Qualification program.

Defensive Pistol I is an excellent follow on skill development program for those who have completed a Basic Pistol course or State level Concealed Carry class. Most States only mandate the ability to hit a silhouette target with no time limits. DP I requires a higher degree of marksmanship skill by using the NRA D-1 target and requiring all hits within the 12 inch diameter “8” ring. The DP I program also includes a time standard for each level. Shooters can either use a timer or have someone else time them.

http://www.examiner.com/article/nra-defensive-pistol-qualification-program

Is this a class that somebody puts on or do you just go shoot with a timer and see how you do?

OK, now I understand the question. Thank you.

It is not a class like the NRA Basic Pistol Class or Personal Protection In The Home.

The Marksmanship Qualification Program is a program you can do by yourself or with some friends. It's mostly shot on the honor system. The top level, Distinguished Expert, has to be witnessed by a member of the NRA to be recognized for an award by NRA HQ.

All you have to do is understand the requirements for each level (Marksman, Sharpshooter, etc.), get the appropriate targets, and then shoot it. Each level has to be shot the number of times specified before moving on to the next level. They don't have to be shot consecutively or even on the same day. You just shoot it again until you make the right number of successful attempts. For instance, notice the three marked shots outside the 8 ring on this target. Those were unsuccessful attempts because all hits have to be inside the 8 ring. So, Steve had to shoot them again.

229b602115ec6eda89efb41076d1315a.jpg

There's a log sheet in the back of the PDF file to assist shooters in keeping track of their progress. There's a link to the PDF for the whole program in the article. The MQP has many different disciplines (handgun, rifle, shotgun, airgun) that can be shot. I have already achieved Distinguished Expert level in Handgun (now called Pistol) and Defensive Pistol. Now I'm working on the Rimfire Rifle Qualification, which is a really tough test of rifle marksmanship.

You can get a cool certificate from the NRA for making DE. I used it as proof of competency for my Virginia Non-Resident Concealed Carry License.
i150.photobucket.com_albums_s91_HeadHunter_album_Training_NRA_89a431e7e86943c91b30ef6da3e759ef.jpg

This is great. I do have a question. if I have nobody around me that's qualified to validate this, can I use a video camera and set it up for the required shooting as proof? I am able to shoot out to 50 yards on my property right now.

This is great. I do have a question. if I have nobody around me that's qualified to validate this, can I use a video camera and set it up for the required shooting as proof? I am able to shoot out to 50 yards on my property right now.

Until you get to the Distinguished Expert level, there's no validation required. It's on the honor system. To get DE recognition from NRA HQ, the eight successful runs have to be witnessed by an NRA member. There's a form to fill out and mail in. http://mqp.nra.org/documents/pdf/education/training/marksmanship/de_rec_form.pdf

From the Program website.
Qualification shooting is an informal, year-round recreational shooting activity that provides incentive awards for developing and improving marksmanship skills. It's a drill. We set the standards; you meet the challenge! Progression is self-paced and scores are challenging but attainable. Performance is measured against established par scores and any shooter who meets or exceeds those scores is entitled to the corresponding recognition awards for that rating. It's an honor system!

Back
Top Bottom