• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Night sight installation at home.

Patronus

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
152   0
Reaction score
Bought a sight pusher kit from eBay for $45 shipped. Installed night sights on my Sig P229 myself and I'm pretty happy about the results. I saw the thread about the "professionally done" job that looked terrible and wanted to offer this option and a lesson learned in the process. I'll probably never pay anyone to push sights again(except Glock since they only cost 60 bucks installed and go through the whole gun at the same time).

Here's the tool:

Sig P229x.jpg

And here's what the slide looked like with the factory sights:

Sig P229.jpg

Sig P229d.jpg

Sig P229b.jpg Sig P229c.jpg

And here's what it looks like now:

Sig P229e.jpg

Sig P229f.jpg

Sig P229g.jpg

I wrapped the slide in electric tape to protect it from the pusher but still had a place or two where the edge of the pusher cut through and marked the slide. But the blocks of the pusher are aluminum so the marks were transfer of aluminum onto the slide, not scratches or damage to the slide. They cleaned off with a brass bristle brush and gun oil. Then the brass trace came right off with a toothbrush.

The gent with the marked up slide from the other thread might be able to just scrub the marks of if they are transfer as well.

I use strips of aluminum plates bought at lowes and painters tape to protect the slide. No one takes more care of my guns than I.

Good job on the sights, looks great.

I use strips of aluminum plates bought at lowes and painters tape to protect the slide. No one takes more care of my guns than I.

Good job on the sights, looks great.

I use strips of lead, no painters tape needed. Works great on most any metal object you have to clamp in the vise.

Thanks for posting this. I've been in need of a pusher for my Sig and my S&W but its hard to justify spending that kind of money when its not something you need very often. I pushed the sights off my M&P to do some internal slide work and re-installed them roughly where they were but of course they're off a bit. I would love to have a pusher to use at the range to adjust on the spot. I got on ebay and ran across another universal one that looks pretty nice. Great reviews and only $60 after shipping. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Original-JM...ultDomain_0&hash=item2593bb05ca#ht_348wt_1105

Gonna order it and give it a whirl. Again, thanks for the idea.

Back
Top Bottom