Nice read for hardcore 270 fans (like myself)

The difference between 30-06, 270, and the 25-06 in the field are just about zero. I'm curious about why people are fans of one and not the other.

The difference between 30-06, 270, and the 25-06 in the field are just about zero. I'm curious about why people are fans of one and not the other.
If there's 0 difference then why were they invented lol. Just messing with ya. Their all great calibers but the 270 falls in a great niche. The 25-06 is great, but it's a little light and lacks BC's to take the longer harder hitting shots needed for stuff like elk or moose at a few hundred yards even though capable the 270 does it better. The 30-06 is an amazing caliber that can't be talked bad about and it uses an array of weights. While it may carry a larger bullet selection, you have to use considerably heavier loads to equal the BC's and then you deal with the fact that it's a cool 200-300+ fps slower in compareable weights. There are pros and cons with every cartridge, but for 270 fans, well, it's hard to explain... I really just can't find any cons. It'll shoot 90gr loads at 22-250 speeds and it'll shoot matrix 175gr .680 BC vld's at 2700. As for me, I load 130 BST's to about 3150 and it way lays anything I desire in it's tracks. If moose was on the menu I'd use a 160 partition without question. Every caliber carries a following or else it wouldn't exist. But it helps that such a widely known name like O'Connor raved about the 270.

Last edited:

Sure there are differences and I never said I'm not a fan of 30/06. I love that caliber also. 25/06 not so much. I believe it is lacking something, can't put my finger on it perhaps the lightness, but something in the field...I've always felt the same about .308.

biker13, had to stir a little! O'Connor is quite a bit before my time, but I greatly enjoy his books, along with those of Elmer Keith, Charles Askins, Bill Jordan, Karamojo Bell, O'Rourke and more.

MRH, totally agree with you about the .25-06......but not the .308! That's why Baskin Robbins stocks 33 flavors, though!

I've always been a huge .30 fan (.308, .30-06, .300H&H, .300WinMag), but I was a Scout/Sniper in the Corps. Got lotsa use out of the 7.62x51mm and I'm used to it.

I gotta admit to being a bigger fan of the .30-06 than the .270, but it's just a personal choice and a liking for big bullets. The .270 is a fine shooting round with excellent terminal ballistics and low recoil, relatively.

I wanted a non-.30-06 that used the same parent case so I picked up a .338-06 Ackley Improved. Wa-BAM! LOL

^I'm a big .30 cal fan also...To be honest I have always been a bit unfair to the .308 because I saw a deer get away from a cousin of mine after he made what appeared to be a perfect shot...It may not have been, but I saw it happen and I have never felt the same about the caliber. After that...My brother made a perfect shot on a very large whitetail 2 years ago with a .308 at only 50 yards and the buck ran half a mile. When we found him he was still alive so we finished him. A friend of mine shot a 250 pound 14 pointer in Ky at 250 yards with a .308 and killed him, but he also ran close to half a mile with a perfect shot. So I do have limited real life experience and can only speak of what I have seen. I do feel that I have been a bit unfair to the .308, though...It is a proven caliber and millions of hunters past and present can't be wrong. Nope, no love for the .25/06.

Back
Top Bottom